Rietveld Schröder House

50 Prins Hendriklaan, Utrecht, Netherlands

Rietveld Schröder House Utrecht Reviews

denarend denarend
My visit to Truus Schröder-Schräder in her Rietveld House in Utrecht, Holland. May 08, 2010
I highly recommended the Rietveld - Schröder House for people interested in architecture. Some call it the Rietveld House, while others the Schröder House. Truus Schröder was the jong woman who's husband had died and wanted to live in a smaller and better adapted home. She asked the young designer Gerrit Rietveld, who also lived in the Dutch city of Utrecht, if he could design a house in the same style as a room which he had designed for her large traditional house where she had lived with her lawyer husband. She was also very good in interior design solutions which were unique for her time (1924).

When I was designing my own house and studio in the seventies of the twentieth century, I contacted her about her and Rietveld's experiences with building regulations. A year or so later I asked her if I could pay a visit to her house. My colleague and friend Jan Jelle Stroosma visited her on the twentieth of November in 1982. We spent the afternoon with her and asked her questions about the house and the time she had lived there. She invited us to take pictures and look everywhere we wanted to. I now have more than seventy photographs of the Rietveld - Schröder House. On my sculpture website I have a section called encounters, where I tell about the visit to Truus Schröder-Schräder and am putting the pictures I took of her in her house.

See my report on this memorable visit to Rietveld's and her architecture on my sculpture site (search my name plus 'Truus' and it will be the first result.
Truus Schröder-Schräder demonstr…
Truus Schröder-Schräder arrangin…
Truus Schröder-Schräder's hand r…
Truus Schröder-Schräder demonstr…
Vlindeke Vlindeke
Surprising house by Gerrit Rietveld Nov 07, 2009
Finally made it to visit the Rietveld Schröder House in Utrecht, according to UNESCO “an important and unique icon of western architectural history” and “a masterpiece of human creative activity”.

Arriving at the house (built in 1924), I was surprised by the location and the size of the house.

Originally the house was built at the suburb, overlooking fields and woods. Hard to imagine now a days. The house is next to a (very close) highway.

The Rietveld Schröder House is situated in the Prins Hendriklaan 50, Utrecht. The ticket office is situated at the other site of the viaduct, Erasmuslaan 5, one of the houses also designed by Rietveld.

The guided tour of the house (including a visit to a model house next to the ticket office) takes about five quarters of an hour. Each tour has the maximum of ten people, the house is rather small, so better make reservations in advance!

The house and the furniture are original. 85 years old now and used for about 60 years by Mrs. Schröder.

You’ll find a lot of information about the Rietveld Schröder House on the internet, as well about its architect Gerrit Thomas Rietveld (1888-1964), and the group he belonged to “De Stijl”.

I can recommend a visit, you will be surprised by all kind of ingenious ideas in the house.

For visitors information (in Dutch and English): www.centraalmuseum.nl

It is not allowed to take pictures inside the house.
The house (Prins Hendriklaan 50)
UNESCO world heritage since 2000
Highway on the left (now a days)
Site view from the left
world-traveller123 says:
good work
Posted on: Feb 19, 2014
denarend says:
I know it is not allowed to take pictures in the house. I was there two times - once when it became a museum and once eighteen years earlier when I visited Truus Schröder-Schräder, who designed the house together with Gerrit Rietveld. Then I did take more than seventy pictures which I have now started putting on my site; I can't put the address here, but look up my name and Truus. Let me know what you think of them.
Posted on: May 08, 2010