Riding the metro in DC

Washington, District of Columbia

Riding the metro in DC Washington Reviews

homeres homeres
Riding the Metro in the DMV area Oct 05, 2013
I took the Metro (by myself) for the first time this past week in order to avoid driving and parking in downtown DC. I have to say it is an experience and I highly recommend that you have with you a copy of the Metro schedule. I had a copy downloaded to my cellphone which worked wonderfully. Train system was average however those speaking on the intercom announcing stops could speak a bit louder and enunciate their words better. If you are as unfamiliar as I am with DC. I plan my routes and counted the number of stops before getting off. People of DC are helpful when giving directions and please be mindful not everyone you talk with may understand English very well. Maps are a must!
HuBison HuBison
You have to read all the directions Oct 10, 2009
In order to ride the metro in DC, you must buy a ticket from the machine at each station. You must look at the map and it will tell you how much you have to pay for a one-way trip. The cost to travel to different places is different-there isn't one price to ride the metro. You should be able to read the directions to buy a ticket, but there is a person in the booth in the station to help you (if they're in a good mood).

You slide your ticket into the machine, enter the metro and ride to your destination stop. You must keep your ticket because it is what you will need to get OUT of the system. There are different prices for rush hour than for down-time travel. If you don't have enough money on your ticket, when you insert it to get out it will let you know and then you have to backtrack a few feet to add money onto your card.

If you are visiting DC for a few days; you can put a whole $10 or whatever you might need on one card and use it each time you use the metro (you just have to keep track of your balance-which shows up everytime you enter the metro system). Only one card per person.

Related Travel Blogs About Riding the metro in DC

Two Weeks in DC
I was brought to DC (basic expenses paid: airfare, hotel and most meals) for job training (I was to be a field representative for an organization) for two weeks.  Even though most days were 12-h…riding the Metro, and the political atmosphere.  Washington, DC is an absolutely incredible city, and I could totally see myself…
The King Memorial in Washington
My flight to Washington was uneventful, which was to be expected given that it was such a short flight. My ride into DC via the Metro was quick. Every time I come to Washington I am amazed at how sim…Washington was uneventful, which was to be expected given that it was such a short flight. My ride into DC via the Metro

Check Washington Hotel Deals