EuropeItalyRomeRome Tips

Riding the Metro

Rome, Italy
Riding the Metro - Waiting for the train at the Metro station Basilica San Paolo
Riding the Metro - Kaija on her way down to the Metro at Basilica San Paolo
Riding the Metro - Waiting for the train at the Metro station Termini
Riding the Metro - Kaija on her way down to the Metro at Spagna

Riding the Metro Rome Reviews

jostravel jostravel
Keep your eyes open! Feb 29, 2016
Probably one of the cheapest ways to get around Rome, if not on foot, is to jump on the metro. There are stations dotted all over the city, stopping at most of the major tourist attractions such as Colosseo and Spagna. I didn't think twice about using it, but it gets very very busy and cramped. The tickets are really cheap, and you can either get a plain one out of the machine, or a picture one (same price) from the booth on the way in. Don't be afraid to ask someone who's passing by if you can't work out which train to catch; whilst it gets easier, it can be a bit confusing at first (despite there only being 2 lines).

I only had one 'nearly incident' on the metro. I had my camera in its bag strapped around my waist with a neck strap over my shoulder - it was effectively double-attached to me. All I recall is the doors opening, loads of folk getting on and off, pushing and shoving, and when the doors closed my camera bag was open. Luckily for me my camera was still there, but I could very well nearly have lost it.

They say be wary of pickpockets when in major cities, but I've never had a near-miss before. Be careful. Take care of your belongings. But don't avoid the experience on the off-chance. The metro is an interesting insight into how the Romans behave.
Chokk Chokk
The Metro in Rome May 11, 2008
What do you expect from a Metro in Rome? Actually I didn’t have any wild expectations unless than it probably wouldn’t work perfectly. Well arriving a day where there is a strike did only confirm my expectations.

Today there are 2 Metro lines running in Rome but some construction work in different streets indicated that they were working on a line C as supplement to the two current A and B. Linea A runs from Battistini to Anagnina and in general I found this line much cleaner than the other one. On top of this these trains were not totally filled with graffiti. Linea B runs from Rebibbia to Laurentina.

I found the ticket prices fair compared to other cities. We both bought a week card for 16€ that worked on all busses as well. We found this very practical and I was nice not having to think about tickets more on our visit. Tickets can be bought in machines on the station and this system works rather well.

I was in general pleased with the service that was provided.
Kaija on her way down to the Metro…
Kaija on her way down to the Metro…
Waiting for the train at the Metro…
Waiting for the train at the Metro…
Jamal1280 says:
When I traveled to Rome, I stayed with a family in Mentana. We would catch the Tren Italia from Monteredondo everyday into Rome, and then get on the Metro. The trains were pretty good, I thought, and the stations reminded me very much of New York City - especially because of the graffiti, which really surprised me.
Posted on: Aug 14, 2010
Joost1976 says:
great blog my friend, very worthfull
Posted on: Feb 08, 2009
Joost1976 says:
great info, its also worth visiting Calabria (mezzogiorno) its also famous for its history and its cultural inharitage, 1 hour flight from Rome to Lamezia Terme. a gre
Posted on: Feb 08, 2009
donmario donmario
Use Rail Travel as often as possible May 10, 2008
When traveling to Rome, arrange to arrival time be be during daylight hours..

Also use the Train to travel into Rome from the Airport it is a lot cheaper..

When booking accomadation, make sure thats it's within 10 to 20 mts walk from the Railway station.. this way you will save a lot of money..

The Rome Railway Station is multi-level and can go down alot of stairs to different levels-- so always wear comfortable foot ware-- NO HIGH HEELS--

I also found that there was a lot of cheap places to eat in Vactian City

with great food.. for 10 Euro -- you get a - salad - pasta or pizza - a beer,cool drink- water -- sweets & bread--

AN IMPORTANT NOTE's FOR AL TRAVELLER'S-- ALWAY'S CARRY YOUR MONEY IN YOUR FRONT POCKETS--- and DON'T CARRY MORE CASH THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED !!

ALSO WEAR VERY LITTLE JEWELLERY --- BUY A CHEAP $20 WATCH- to use on your travels & DON't DRAW ATTENTION TO YOUR SELF BUY WEARING ---expensive designer clothes...

DON'T FORGET SUNDAY IS A HOLY DAY IN ITALY-- if you must travel on Sunday -- double check your -- TRAVEL TIMES --
Chokk says:
Good points:)
Posted on: Feb 25, 2009
Eric Eric
Jan 23, 2006
One of the things that was pretty confusing when I first arrived in Rome was figuring out how to buy a ticket for the metro. In theory you can buy tickets from the machines or attendants in the station, but in practice the machines are always broken and the attendants are always on siesta. Your best bet is to purchase a stack of tickets from a "Tabacchi" store. Tabacchi's are little stores that sell miscellaneous small goods and can be identified by a "T" sign. They are pretty common and practically on every corner in Rome.Your ticket is good for the bus or metro. If you are riding the metro, you have to validate your ticket before getting on. If you are riding the bus, there are small machines at the front or the back of the bus for you to validate your ticket at after you get on. The real question is, do you even need to buy a ticket at all? After riding the metro and bus over 100 times, I never was asked to show my ticket. In fact, not once did I even see an inspector. My guess is that they only check the super touristy bus lines, like the ones that go to St. Peter's. It is also my theory that 90% of the people who live in Rome have never bought a metro ticket and that their public transportation system is almost entirely funded by gullible tourists.
soundergal says:
"It is also my theory that 90% of the people who live in Rome have never bought a metro ticket and that their public transportation system is almost entirely funded by gullible tourists" I love it.
Posted on: Jun 10, 2007
angie says:
Don't forget how each car is always packed like a can of sardines. Say goodbye to your personal bubble!
Posted on: Jan 24, 2006
terryberry terryber…
Apr 25, 2006
You're right ~ nobody, but nobody pays for the bus or Metro in Italy. I bought one ticket each for my son and I. His 'game' for the vacation was to see how many times he could punch the ticket!

Check Rome Hotel Deals