Riding the Jeepney

Manila, Philippines

Riding the Jeepney Manila Reviews

wrnidea wrnidea
Apr 03, 2007
The famous/infamous jeepney is a deconstruction of the military vehicle used by the Americans during World War II. Since the Filipinos are so creative they transformed into a public utility for a meagre fare.

Up to this time, it is practically plying to any major thoroughfare within the country. Since the Philippines is still a developing country, a great majority of the populace has benefited from it. However, some expats I knew of had taken the rare privilege to savor it as well. And it for this reason, that I recommend that anyone who is in my country wouldn't miss this rare chance to experience taking a ride. Nowadays, the average fare cost Php 7.00 for the next 5-7 kms. Beyond that is additional 0.50 per km (Will check on this further and repost my findings. It would be best that one asks the driver himself for the exact amount.) Yet, I would also suggest that you take care of your belongings and watch out for pickpockets.

I know that the country has an issue with the traffic congestion especially with the huge number of jeepneys (aside from cabs and buses) that takes the city route. Who's to blame anyway? The average Filipino family is still below povery level and we can't still afford a car of our own. I don't mind! This transportation has been ingrained in our culture and I can't see my country surviving without it; a necessary evil. Let's all enjoy the ride, for now.
Eric says:
Thanks for the tips!
Posted on: Apr 03, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Riding the Jeepney

Whale Sharks
People i met here, who contributed to and improved my trip: Juliana (Russia), Emily (England), 10 Whale Sharks As we had slept very little on our bus ride from Manila to Legazpi then jeepney on to D…ride from Manila to Legazpi then jeepney on to Donsol, we didn't do much on our first day in Donsol…
the philippines, a contrast of beauty and madness.
here is the summary and my favorite pictures from my trip to the philippines this year.being away from home for such a long time developed a sense of nationalism in me. it made me proud of my country…manila is a great challenge for thrill seekers around the world, from riding the public transportations - the famous jeepneys, the sky train…

Check Manila Hotel Deals