AsiaIndiaGoaGoa Tips

Goa, India

Riding A Moped / Motorbike In Goa, India Reviews

mphemming mphemming
Riding a moped / motorbike in Goa Apr 25, 2011
(We did this in low season around late may/early June 2009, I had no prior experience before riding)

If you are travelling to Goa, a moped is definately the best way to get around. Goan traffic is definately not as mad as the rest of the country so if you ever wanted to rent a motorbike in India, this is the best place to do so.

We rented a moped for around £2-3 / day (Honda Activa I think) not including fuel from a place in Anjuna. A driving liscence of somekind is needed (pretty much doesnt matter if youve got a car, scooter or tractor liscence) We filled our petrol tanks for around £10 which lasted 2-3 days with loads spare. We travelled up and down the coastline, visiting different towns & ended up joining the local cricket team for a small duration of our time there.

However, like anywhere there are precautions you need to take into account. A helmet is a must! make sure you ask for one from the rental man. Be prepared that you might be stopped by police, if this happens definately bargain with the fine (it was around 950rps each, down to around 400 rupees. Do not go on the dual carrageways as this is illegal (even though driving a moped without a proper liscence is illegal anyway).

General Tips:

.If you see a cow, drive past it but leave enough room to make sure it doesn't charge you (my friend found this out when a bull randomly chased afterhim).

.beep away! its the safest thing attached to your bike after brakes! it lets people know where you are and I must admit it also feels cool to repeatedly beep the horn without someone getting annoyed at you.

.do not stop in the road, this is probably one of the worst things you can do! if you see a hazard in front of you move around and people behind you will be constantly aware of things infront of them and will move with you (looking over your shoulder / mirrors is uncool in this country but I would recommend to be safe).

.Have fun! it was definately one of the best experiences Ive had whilst travelling.

Check Goa Hotel Deals