Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum
18001 Yorba Linda Boulevard, Yorba Linda, CA, USA
www.nixonlibrary.gov - 714-983-9120
Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum Yorba Linda Reviews
California Native Jun 04, 2011
A friend of mine suggested a visit to Nixon’s Museum, which is located in Yorba Linda, Ca. The museum surrounds the house where Nixon was born, and spent the first 9 years of his life. His father built the house from a catalog. That’s right, a catalog! I was not aware you could do that, but apparently such concept dates back to 1906. Talk about a project! But I digress…
The museum is quite fascinating. It costs 9.95, bring your Triple A card and get a discount. You start your museum visit with a 30-minute video, which basically highlights Richard Nixon’s political career. After the video you have the whole place to see at your own pace. They also have tours.
Richard Nixon and his wife are buried in the museum grounds, which I thought was quite interesting -his birthplace and grave all in the same place.
Some of the highlights:
1) Tour of Nixon’s childhood home. The house is in the original location where it was built.
2) Tour of Nixon’s helicopter
3) Election memorabilia
4) Nixon’s limousine
5) The outfit Mrs. Nixon wore when she visited China. Just kidding.
6) Apollo 11 Space Suit
7) Piece of the Berlin Wall –a big chunk of it.
8) Life-sized, paper mache statues of world leaders
9) Recordings of the Watergate hearing and investigation
10) A tie between the paintings of Nixon done by world artists, and the letters written by kids when Nixon lost to JFK.
The museum is easily a three-hour adventure if not more. In sum, the museum was full of surprises and would recommend to anyone regardless of political affiliation.
3 / 3 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!