Rettenbach Glacier

6450 Austria, Solden, Austria

Rettenbach Glacier Solden Reviews

anewchapter anewchap…
Skiing--A Baptism by Fire Apr 21, 2015
I planned a 4 day stay in Solden, Austria to coincide with the opening of the Ski World Cup. I didn't plan on watching any of the competition but hoped to soak up the atmosphere around the town, enjoy the parade and the nightlife. But my main plan for the stay was to try my hand at Skiing.

I rented 3 days worth of equipment at one of the many Ski rental stores around the town and made my way to the bus station to catch the bus up to the Rettenbach Glacier. What I didn't know was that there are only two buses that go up to the glacier and they both leave early (around 8.30am) and return mid-afternoon (around 3pm). So I missed the buses and ended up getting a taxi with 4 guys from Germany who had just arrived in town.

The taxi ride itself was an experience. The driver seemed to think he was driving a formula 1 racing car around a practice track instead of driving a taxi around the winding roads of a mountain. I think I left my handprint on the seat and only breathed out about 5 times during the 15 minute journey.

Once at the glacier, I made my way to the booth to buy the ski pass. I have no qualms in saying that the woman at the booth was a complete bitch. She was ignorant and had no manners at all. So I let her know that smiling and being courteous once in a while could improve her facial features. She didn't seem to appreciate the comment.

After that I made my way up the glacier on the gondola. Once at the top of the mountain I was in awe of the surrounding snowy mountains. They seemed to go on forever.

Once I soaked up the views I put on my ski's and started to roll backwards towards the edge of the mountain and its sheer drop. I had to fall to the side, awkwardly, to stop myself. I realized at this point that skiing is not as easy as it looks on tv!! I'd never been skiing before and starting at a 3000metre high glacier might not have been the smartest option.

I went over to the one of the attendants and asked if this glacier was for beginners like I had been led to believe. He told me it was. It wasn't until the next day I found out that the glacier is the exact same one the pro skiers were using for the world cup! So for beginners? I think not.

I tried a few more times to try and get the hang of it but it wasn't going to happen. I guess I was naive to think I was just going put on some ski's and be able to ski. I definitely have a new found respect for skiers. The boots and ski's are super heavy and trying to maintain balance and not roll off a mountain and die is quite hard.

So after about 45 minutes of trying, I tucked my tale between my legs and went back down to the bottom. I also went back to the ski rental store and got 2 days refund. I could have went back the next 2 days and tried again but when you don't know what your doing it can be dangerous. Besides, It would take alot more than 2 days to get the hang of it. I understand now why so many people break bones when they go skiing.

I'd definitely recommend going to Solden and trying the out the Rettenbach Glacier. The skiing there is obviously world class and if you can ski or have had plenty of lessons then you will love it. Also there aren't as many people on the slopes in Solden compared to nearby Innsbruck so you'll get much more action.
Rettenbach Glacier, Solden Austria