Restoran Vanaema Juures

10 Rataskaevu, Tallinn, Estonia
Restoran Vanaema Juures - Pork, sauerkraut & blood sausage.  I have never savored pork so tender!
Restoran Vanaema Juures - Beef cheeks with hempseed and rosemary dressing.  Look quickly...it is about to be speared!
Restoran Vanaema Juures - Vaenama Juures is nothing more than eight tables in a Tallinn basement...but quite charming.
Restoran Vanaema Juures - Starting with a couple drafts to celebrate a fine day in Tallinn at Vaenama Juures.
Restoran Vanaema Juures - Shall we go down and dine like a local?
Restoran Vanaema Juures - Smoked meat and potato soup - a steamy way to take the chill off of a cool evening in Estonia.
Restoran Vanaema Juures - The complimentary bread was wonderful.  Unlike most dining spots during our trip, not too salty.

Restoran Vanaema Juures Tallinn Reviews

vances vances
Dine like a local Jun 21, 2016
A teensy restaurant with only eight tables situated in a basement, Vaenama Juures is a wonderful dining option in Tallinn’s Old Town. The literal translation of “grandma’s place” was the only detail which turned me off, because I’ve suffered too many lousy meals at similarly named eateries back in the USA. This fear was immediately vanquished once we were seated.

You never see a kitchen or employees beyond a delightful pair of ladies in tasteful period dress who provide top shelf service: poised, professional and charmingly friendly. The setting may be charitably described as ‘rustic’. Tables and chairs are an unmatched collection of battered pieces from days gone by (weirdly reminding me of the set I recalled from my grandmother’s place). And the tattered walls are decorated with a random collection of b&w pictures and knick-knacks. Once again this was reminiscent of, well, the décor of my grandmother’s place.

But it was food came for, not memories of the good old days. Or was it? As soon as I was served a delicious bowl of smoked meat and potato soup, thoughts harkened back to childhood, enjoying tasty masterpieces whipped up at my grandma’s place (this was starting to get creepy). The evening had turned chilly, so it was perfect timing for this steamy beginning.

My entrée of pork over sauerkraut with horseradish and mustard, accompanied by a blood sausage, was divine. The dish seemed to get tastier with each bite and I have never enjoyed pork so tender. Some of my enchantment with Vaenama Juures was simply how easy it was to slice that pork. Laura ordered beef cheeks smothered with hempseed and rosemary dressing, every bit as fantastic as my order.

Our delight grew when the check was presented. The heavenly feast was barely half of what we had been charged for a disappointing dinner in Helsinki two nights before.

The most memorable moment occurred at the end. I had read tipping is not expected in Tallinn, but you could leave up to 10% for exceptional service (need to leave cash as anything added to a credit card payment was unlikely to make it back to the wait staff). Our waitress was exceptional in every way, so I left a few euro on the table. Laura visited the rest room as we departed and I waited in the doorway. This afforded time for our waitress to begin clearing and she ran up to me, clasped both my hands and exclaimed “thank you so very much”. Living in the USA you feel obliged to tip, even when service is lackluster and there is never any acknowledgement or thanks. This was refreshing and I was genuinely touched by the gratitude, our server’s sincerity revealed by the mirth in her eyes. I almost returned to our table to leave more!
Shall we go down and dine like a l…
Starting with a couple drafts to c…
Vaenama Juures is nothing more tha…
The complimentary bread was wonder…
vances says:
It is a small world after all, Lindsay!

:^)
Posted on: Oct 20, 2016
34Chicago23 says:
Nice review. I was there about 10 years ago and could not remember the name. For dinner I ordered the Wild Boar which may be the pork dish you had.
Posted on: Oct 19, 2016