Restaurants and Shops in Unawatuna

Unawatuna, Sri Lanka

Restaurants and Shops in Unawatuna Reviews

alexandra_h alexandr…
Restaurants and Shops in Unawatuna Feb 16, 2012
Unawatuna is not a big place. If you are staying at the beach you will quickly learn the area. Because of it's beauty Unawatuna is a very popular bay. Tourists from around the world come here to enjoy the sun and sea. Locals benefit from their restaurants and souvenir shops a lot. For such a small place, the offer is big enough for all tourists.

In many places we have eaten very well, after two months I managed to remember couple of them:

Roti shop: Nice place for a quick bite.

Sunil Garden: Here we had a dessert a few times. A Dutch lady with her Senegalese husband run this cozy place and bake delicious cheesecakes.

Jinas Vegetarian and Vegan Restaurant: Probably the most interesting menu of all restaurants because of the Indian dishes. Jina himself is the only person who makes it. But at that time he was elsewhere, so we had to order something else which was not that great. Cakes were vary tasty though. We came back for them once again.

South Ceylon Vegetarian Restaurant: many delicious and spicy dishes with slow and poor service. Quite usual in Sri Lanka. As long as the food tastes good, it's OK.

The Dutchies: A tiny family eatery, hidden behind famous Tartaruga. They don't have a menu. Basic dishes are freshly prepared on the spot. I had a delicious and spicy curry here.

Shopping can be done very passive, while lying on the beach. Many vendors walk along the the beach and trying to convince tourists to buy something. Items differ from wooden sculptures to colorful fabrics and fruits.

Along the streets many shops sell pretty much the same. I loved fabrics and stuff made out of them.

On the Yaddehimula road I found two shops: one near the restaurant Dream House and one on the end of that road, close to main road to Galle or Matara. The special thing about these two stores are the ladies for whom I had developed much affection. The one is young and the other one a bit older. Both rent a 'shed' which they set up as a fabrics and clothes store. They are independent, hard working business women. Both very cute and friendly, but most importantly they sew the best items. I was happy to sponsor them both and I am even more happy with dresses and other stuff I bought.
Jina and his philosophy
Jinas cakes
The shop near Dream House.

Check Unawatuna Hotel Deals