Restaurante Portao

Travessa do Portão, Funchal, Portugal - + 291 22 1125

Restaurante Portao Funchal Reviews

davidx davidx
Excellent food, excellent English - EXCELLENT Aug 23, 2010
Just a bit of geography to start with. This is a restaurant in Funchal, the capital of the island of Madeira which is by administration a province of Portugal, by geography an off-shore island of Africa and which has a micro-climate that gives it temperatures a bit over 70C all year.

So what drew us to this restaurant on our first night? Not the fact that al three waiters spoke very good English - although they do - because we did not know.

I think it was the fact that, among many - and I mean MANY - restaurants in east Funchal that look good this was the only one where we were not pressurised to eat! I know why we returned twice - we liked it so much.

In Funchal scabbard fish is the speciality. Do try it - it's delicious - but don't go tothe market first and see them - they are real evil looking monsters of the very deep! those TEETH!!!! Try them with banana. However salmon, squid and octopus are all equally good. The last night I asked what the fish of the day was. Chirne - and as it happened I had seen the word that day for the first time, while flicking through my phrase book - TURBOT and affordable!

Their zabaglioni, with Madeira wine and brandy generously included, was magnificent and the complimentery glass of liqheur or spirits a the end was much appreciated.
Parallel street 1