Restaurante El Soportal

Restaurante El Soportal - The outside

Restaurante El Soportal Madrid Reviews

Chokk Chokk
A tourist trap Aug 21, 2007
Walking around in the evening in Madrid is a truly pleasure. We came in rather late in the evening and left the hotel a 10pm looking for a nice restaurant. We fairly quick ended up at Plaza Mayor and one the open restaurants was Restaurante El Soportal.

El Suportal is one of these restaurants that are situated in a place where people always will enter no matter what. I will on the other hand doubt that it is a place with many regulars besides maybe the odd old lady who like to sit and watch the pigeons of Plaza Mayor.

One thing that is a magnet for this place is its view over this magnificent square and it was also what made me enter. I knew I was entering a tourist trap and I was aware of their tricks and was eager to follow the action on the tables.

The waiters are quick and sometimes quite pushy; this place is about turnover per seat. I ordered a draft beer, and I laughed of myself because I didn’t mention so I got a large one (6,80 euro). I ordered also Solomillo Iberico that covered over a sirloin steak with some kind of Spanish sauce and some pan fried potatos.

He asked me if I wanted salad to it; and said yes but he brought me a tuna salad (9 euro) with some the worst dry tuna that I ever had tasted. The sirloin (18 euro) was way too dry and had clearly gotten too much on one of the sides. The meal was in general way below what you should anticipate even in a place like that. I didn’t touch the bread because it would increase the bill with about 2 euro.
The menu
The outside
The tuna salad
The sirloin steak
Africancrab says:
Nice review, thanks for sharing
Posted on: May 29, 2010