Restaurante Barbarroja

C/ Cava de San Miguel 8 28005 Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Restaurante Barbarroja Madrid Reviews

Bailers Bailers
Delicious Spanish cuisine is worth the price Jun 30, 2009
The food at Restaurante Barbarroja was by far the best food my friends and I had in Madrid, and if I may speak boldly, Spain. The restaurant itself is located in the more historic "old jail district" of Madrid. It's very close to a lot of the dungeons that have been turned into cafes. It's also fairly close to la plaza real, where fire dancers and other artisans show off their skills. (I don't think we went on any special day, so I think it's a regular thing). The decor of the restaurant is elegant without being flashy, from what I remember there was a lot of very detailed dark wood. Although we seemed to be right in the middle of dinner time for most, the restaurant was completely empty except for a few people in the bar area. The wait staff was polite and prompt, (possibly because we were the only ones there) and brought us the menus right away. Aside from a few spelling errors in the translation, the menus were really nice and the food was explained well. We all had a good laugh when one friend ordered the "lamp chops". I ordered a chicken breast (back in my non-veggie days) covered in an almond sauce. The dish was amazing. The presentation of everyone's food was very neat and precise, and the chicken breast I ate was probably one of the most tender pieces of meat I have ever had, and the almond sauce complimented it perfectly. We also ordered a couple glasses of Sangria, and that too, exceeded my expectations. The wine and fruit were evenly tasted, and the rather large glass was topped with an orange wedge that added to the appearance of the drink.

At the end of our meals, we ended up spending about $250-300 USD between five of us, which for us was really expensive for one meal. But the portions are large, the food is amazing, and the time we spent together was priceless, so it was well worth it. Note of advice, don't let them pour water in your cup unless you are willing to pay $3 USD per glass, it most definitely isn't complimentary like in the U.S.

Check Madrid Hotel Deals