Restaurant Yamayuri

Jln Danau Tamlingan, Sanur, Indonesia

Restaurant Yamayuri Sanur Reviews

rachael_yoo rachael_…
New Style Jun 17, 2013
It was a surprise when i come back to visit Yamayuri Japanese Restaurant in Sanur Bali,, because now they have changed a lot of things including their menu.

Now they have Udon menu (Japanese noodle), although it has a lot of different with their menu before, but....

for me it still nice, delicious and i love the noodle soup taste...

Even it look simple, but i know it takes knowledges to cook the noodle.

So, for all of you who`s never eat Udon before, i suggest that you better try it,, ^-^.
Kanikama Udon (with crab stick)
Curry Udon
My favourite Chicken Katsu Udon
sarahsan sarahsan
A different sushi! Aug 02, 2012
Yamayuri is a Japanese restaurant located in what is considered north Sanur. It looked elegant and more upscale than the other Japanese restaurant in central Sanur. The prices were higher too.

When I stopped and looked at the menu, I was met by a very sweet waitress, who spoke excellent English. She told me that there was a 30% discount that night. I decided to try their sushi.

The interior was oriental. Except from a paper wall and two kimonos, there was nothing very Japanese about the place. By the entrance there was an outdoor area built over water. The restaurant itself was made like a big pavilion with walls on two sides and the rest was open. Since the place was built over water, there were plenty of mosquitoes, so bring repellent if you are seated next to the water.

Yamayuri serves sushi, sashimi, tempura, steak and some other Japanese dishes. They offer Danish, Dutch and local beer, but no Japanese beer. There was only one sushi menu with 10 pieces, so that was what I ordered. Miso soup and green tea was included in the menu. I wasn´t too crazy about some of the pieces in the menu, so they were changed to something else without a problem. They even gave me 12 pieces instead of the 10.

First I received a hot towel and green tea, then a free appetizer (endamame). After a while the miso soup was served. Then it took quite a long time for the sushi to arrive. When it did I was a little surprised. The fish (salmon and tuna) looked very pale and the plate had greasy fingerprints on it. I asked if the fish was cooked. It took three waitresses to understand my question. It turned out that only the one who welcomed me spoke English well. Some of them didn´t even understand the most basic question. Back to the sushi. Yes, it was cooked. She said to be sure that it was fresh they cooked it. They did not trust their supplier that the raw fish was fresh, so they cooked it to avoid customers getting sick. As you can see from the photo, the sushi did not come with ginger nor wasabi on the side. The sushi had plenty of wasibi on them so that was okay, but it would have been nice with some ginger. The rice was very loose, so it was difficult to eat it. The whole piece came apart when you picked it up with the chopsticks. Since the fish had been cooked it tasted differently. I definitely prefer raw fish on my sushi. It was probably the less attractive sushi I have ever eaten.

For dessert I had the Mizu Youkan (sweet bean pudding) and matcha (green tea). The matcha was served like a little tea ceremony. I have been to Japan and seen how it´s done there, so this was a little pathetic. It wasn´t even close to how it should have been done. After the dessert I received Japanese tea in a ceramic shot glass and a hot towel. I finally asked for the bill, which I luckily checked, because they had added a dish I hadn´t ordered. If it was deliberate or not – I don´t know. It was also unpleasant that the waitress was hanging over my shoulder while I was checking the bill.

They really tried hard to make it an elegant Japanese restaurant, but it was quite unprofessional. I felt a bit sorry for them. If I ever eat there again it will be something else than their sushi.
Sushi menu
Complimentary edamame
Miso soup
Bintang beer
ccjbeachbum says:
yep
Posted on: Aug 03, 2012
sarahsan says:
Thank you Jacques! Glad that the review can be of value!
Posted on: Aug 02, 2012
westwind57 says:
good critical review and I think very valuable to know this :)
Posted on: Aug 02, 2012
rachael_yoo rachael_…
Wagyu (beef )Set Menu Sep 07, 2012
i have been in Yamayuri restaurant few months ago, exactly when they just open their restaurant

when i decided to go there to get some food, it was a surprised when they told thaT the menu have been changed,,

now they have a lot of sushi menu, and wgyu beef set menu

i have choose shabu shabu set menu and california roll salmon, the wagyu was a live performance and it was very good,,, maybe nextb time i will go there with some of my friends

...:]