Restaurant Tipico Huancahuasi

Av. Javier Prado Este #1405 - Urb. Sta Catalina, Lima, Peru
Restaurant Tipico Huancahuasi - solterito de queso: delicious salad with lima beans, andean cheese, tomato, corn and other veggies. The healthy choice!
Restaurant Tipico Huancahuasi - Cuy a la parrilla: grilled guinea pig...
Restaurant Tipico Huancahuasi - complimentary canchita - toasted corn
Restaurant Tipico Huancahuasi - the winner!!! Papa a la Huancaina!!!
Restaurant Tipico Huancahuasi - the winner!!! Papa a la Huancaina!!!
Restaurant Tipico Huancahuasi - name
Restaurant Tipico Huancahuasi - grilled trout

Restaurant Tipico Huancahuasi Lima Reviews

yadilitta yadilitta
Delicious Andean traditional food in Lima - Restaurant Huancahuasi May 07, 2010
Peru has a large cuisine, which is different in every region. I always like to say that Lima is a gastronomic capital, although it was difficult to find the not so typical Andean cuisine. A few days ago I went out with some friends and the bday girl wanted regional food, so we went to this restaurant. Great choice!

It was Tuesday and the place was getting crowded. Was lucky to find a parking spot. The minute I crossed the door, this reminded me to Huancayo, city in highlands, with all the colors including waitresses' uniforms, table cloths and decorations on the walls.

The staff was very kind and friendly. As soon as you sit down, they will bring you some toasted corn. We have that also in the coast, but it's very salty here. They make it without salt which is very tasty and healthy. We were a large group, so we were able to try different things:

-Cuy: guinea pig. It isn't easy to find good guinea pig in Lima. I didn't try it, but a friend who loves it told me it was good.

-Patasca: a traditional soup from highlands. The friend who asked for it was more than happy. Perfect choice for a chilly day.

-Trout: grilled trout, delicious! Came with salad and potatoes.

-Lamb: in Lima people don't eat lamb very much, but in highlands they do. Here they serve a boneless grilled lamb with potatoes and quinoa as side, very good.

-Solterito de Queso: light option. This is a famous salad from Arequipa that comes with lima beans, corn, tomato and Andean cheese. Very tasty and refreshing.

-Chicharrones: pork, lots of meat, almost no fat. Came with potatoes.

As appetizer my suggestion is the "Papa a la huancaina" potatoes with a dressing made with yellow pepper, cheese, milk, salt, pepper, oil. Today people do it using the blender, but here they prepare it the traditional way, using a Batan - a kitchen utensil to crush things - and you can notice the difference. This is a MUST!

They also have traditional desserts that I haven't been able to find anywhere else like Pumpkin pudding, Regional fruits cakes, Ice Cheese, interesting!

Price is average but portions are huge!!!! And the service is fast!!! I really like it!!! They have happy hour for piscos, which starts at lunch and lasts until 5pm. From Thurs - Sat, they have traditional shows at night time with music and dancers. I wish I'd have known about this place some time ago. Well, I know a new place to recommend now.
name
complimentary canchita - toasted c…
solterito de queso: delicious sala…
yadilitta says:
ok, next time! Did you like it?
Posted on: May 14, 2010
mistyleatherneck says:
After eating at a Peruvian restaurant here in Los Estados Unidos, the menu was mismo mismo de Huancahuasi. I didn't take photos though, next time! jajajaja
Posted on: May 14, 2010