Restaurant Splendor

0776 848505

Restaurant Splendor Arpino Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Little choice on a Monday Sep 04, 2017
We made the rather long walk out of town to this restaurant, incongruously located in a filling station, purely because it seemed to be the only one in Arpino to open on a Monday (the Trattoria del Corso may also open on that day but was shut for two weeks’ holiday from 3rd September)

The lack of options in town had made us speculate that it could be rather busy, but when we arrived at about 7.45 it was empty and in semi-darkness. We thought we might have been misinformed and it was shut after all, but a waiter hurried to switch on the lights and show us to a table. Not long after a group of five local men arrived and sat nearby for what seemed to be a regular ‘guys’ night out’ meal, switching on the TV and settling down to chat and watch music videos. Then another English couple walked in, as relieved as we had been to find a restaurant that was open.

We decided to share a plate of antipasto to start with, which included a delicious fig as well as good salami, prosciutto, and cheese-topped aubergine slices. But I was a little disappointed with my fettuccine with porcini mushrooms, as it was a bit too salty. It was also disappointing that Chris's pizza didn’t arrive till about 15 minutes after my food (given how quiet they were and how quickly a pizza can be cooked) But it was good and large, so he gave me a couple of slices and we both ate well in the end.

Chris had a beer and I stuck to sparkling water as I had a bit of a headache. The bill was reasonable at about 25 euros
Chris in the empty restaurant
Antipasto plate