Restaurant Schønnemann

+45 3312 0785

Restaurant Schønnemann Copenhagen Reviews

TravellinChic Travelli…
Great experience Feb 04, 2015
My Danish friend Henrik, his GF and I went here for lunch and it was an awesome experience!

He told me to order two out of the hundreds of options. It was tough! I had to ask assistance from the waiter who recommended some to me. After some time, I chose a herring and I believe a shrimp one. They don't thing I will like the herring so Henrik's GF kindly offered that I could exchange with her salmon if I find it overwhelming.

We ended up sharing our half of smorrebrod and I indeed liked the smoked salmon more. That was very kind of her.

It was very filling and the atmosphere is nice. It has a hygge feel and some dining are group of elderly friends, families and some with small kids too. It is pretty cool experience.

I love the interior design because it gives the atmosphere of it being traditional danish dining place and the chandeliers were quite interesting.

It looks simple and homey for a Michelin star restaurant which I thought would have a more cold and snobby feel. It must be because Danish culture integrates hygge in its very core. I liked it.

Highly recommend.
Chokk Chokk
One of the best lunch places in Copenhagen Jul 24, 2010
Restaurant Schønnemann is one of the most famous lunch restaurants in Copenhagen serving traditional Danish smørrebrød when it is the best. It is a place that also is famous for its snaps and there are 59 of them to choose from, so there should be a couple that you like as well. Beware that the snaps glasses are large and they serve 3 different sizes of snaps; the embarrassing (2cl), the normal (4cl) and the proper one (6cl), which naturally also is the largest one.

This restaurant has been serving herring and snaps since 1877 but they have also an enormous amount of different smørrebrød to choose from and I am sure that you will find something on the menu to your liking.

The food is always good; the portions are large and the price is fair. The interior is nice and backdated; you feel like you walked in to a museum with its coloured windows, old fashioned lamps and other old items dating back a hundred years or so. The restaurant is probably looking as it did when it opened in 1877, back then it was a place for the farmers that came in from the fields 5 – 10 km from there to sell their vegetables on the towns markets.

The restaurant can be a bit difficult to locate as it is situated 4 steps down in the basement at Hauser Plads, which again is situated behind the more common Kultorvet. Beware to book a table in advance because it is always full; almost all year around.

The lunch restaurant is open Monday to Saturday from 11.30 – 17.00; lunch is served either 11.30 – 14.00 or 14.00 – 17.00.

It is a place that I truly enjoy coming at again and again. I love the ambiance and the stories of the food and the snaps. All the different smørrebrød have names like Kurt’s Special or Havfruen (the mermaid)
The inside interior
One of many tartar's - this one be…
One of their latest creations Havf…

Check Copenhagen Hotel Deals