Restaurant Savelberg

Oosteinde 14, Voorburg, Netherlands
Restaurant Savelberg - View of the terrace
Restaurant Savelberg - Restaurant Hotel Savelberg
Restaurant Savelberg - interior of restaurant Savelberg
Restaurant Savelberg - The Man himself: top-chef and proprietor Henk Savelberg.

Restaurant Savelberg Voorburg Reviews

Sweetski Sweetski
Dec 09, 2007
I am a man who has everything already so, for my thirtieth birthday I didn't ask for a material gift but for a lasting memory. Therefore we had lunch at Restaurant Savelberg, named after top-chef and proprietor Henk Savelberg.

This is not just any restaurant, this is a One Michelin star restaurant. All you food and haute cuisine aficionados will know what that means. For those who are less fortunate and don't know what it means: it is a rating by the (originally French) organization, only given out to the best restaurants in the world. As a restaurant, you have to live up to the highest standards, offer superb quality in all aspects of your business. Not only the food needs to be exceptional, the staff must be professional and utmost hospitable, the ambiance and interior decoration impeccable and so on. All of this to earn just one star. One can never be awarded more than 3 stars.

So, there we were. August 8th, my birthday, having lunch on the terrace. Ambiance is great, you have a spectacular view of the park. Lavish flowers and luscious evergreens provide both color and shade. The food in one word is excellent. So how can I describe the food? I'd say, carefully decorated artwork made by highly skilled people with a passion for quality produce. Everything at the right temperature, the right size, the perfect crispiness, with mouthwatering colors. And that is only the 'amuse', a little something to tickle your taste buds. After that followed our starter. I had fish. Although, maybe I should be saying I had a finned, swimming, happy little creature that made it his purpose in life to lay on my plate as deliciously as he could. In a lobster sauce to die for I might add!

Then came the meats, served in a Jus de Veau that is like liquid velvet. The meats melted on our tongues. The meat is free range of course, the potatoes and vegetables are grown organically. It all starts with quality produce! With every course comes one of the 1100 different wines they have in their cellar. There's always one that will fit your taste.

I am a sucker for deserts, I'll enjoy almost anything that is sweet. But the deserts served in this restaurant are made of nectar for the gods, combined with ambrosia and a sprinkle of magic dust. A good dinner (and lunch) in my opinion, is followed by outstanding coffee, something stronger to accompany it (I had a Marc de Bourgogne) and a Cuban digestive cigar. At Savelberg's, they have my favorite; Cohiba.

Needless to say, the staff was always there the moment you needed them, but never in sight when you didn't. I don't know how they do that, but it is a quality I highly admire. Oh and by the way, when you had one too many 'somethings' to accompany your coffee, they have nine hotel rooms, suites in fact, to prevent you from the adventurous undertaking of driving home.

Since this is a review, I feel the need to be critical. So, here's the list of things wrong with it:

1) nothing

2) nada

3) noppes

4) zilch

5) naught

6) null

7) zero

8) OK, perhaps the price... Though there is nothing wrong with the price if you compare it to the quality served. The only thing bad about the place is that it is expensive enough only to be able to afford it once every thirty years :) Those of you who have a well filled wallet and an appreciation for quality ambiance and cuisine; you better leave home right now so you'll be at Savelberg the sooner.
interior of restaurant Savelberg
View of the terrace
Restaurant Hotel Savelberg
The Man himself: top-chef and prop…
Sweetski says:
I know about the double review but in the TravBuddy count it says I have 10 reviews and not 11 as shown on my homepage. So don't worry, I'm not cheating :)
Posted on: Dec 30, 2007
Sunflower300 says:
I must have missed this review... I know where you're taking me for dinner, this is my new favourite restaurant... :D

BTW, no cheating... you have two matching reviews on Theatre Carré. :)
Posted on: Dec 29, 2007