Restaurant Praga

495 690 61 71

Restaurant Praga Moscow Reviews

jimsack jimsack
Stubborn Waiter Provides Humor to Excessive Prices Jun 20, 2009
The Praga must have seen better days. The restaurant is lovely inside, in the style of the 50s with four or five dining areas. A Brazilian "experience" room was filled with one diner and a loud two-piece band, the Japanese "experience" also had one of two dozen tables filled. The night club looked more active, but was very noisy and had garish lighting. I was there with a lovely woman and wanted to talk with her. It was a first date. We settled on a dining room overlooking the Arbatskaya Metro station area and quietly enjoyed the sweeping view of the city from the panoramic widows. We were happily alone and the only sound came from the distant sounds of the kitchen. Light music descended from ceiling speakers.

Our waiter soon arrived to provide humor and a retro taste of the old Soviet days to the evening. He politely took our drink orders and delivered the glasses quickly with quiet restraint. We continued talking, my lovely date and I, until the waiter stealthily approached again to take our dinner orders. I scanned the menu and selected a tuna entree and a fresh salad. The waiter suggested I choose the sea bass, instead. I told him I preferred the tuna, he insisted saying the bass was better, the tuna was not recommended. My date smiled. She interceded. He would not accept my choice. I told him I did not like sea bass. Boring, sad I. He insisted, she interceded, he remained firm. She laughed and reiterated my request. Her Russian was better than mine. He did not budge. I relented, told him to bring whatever he wanted and he left.

The salad was colorful, tasty and included perhaps the most succulent slices of peach I have ever enjoyed. Almost worth the $20 or so for the plate when coupled with the splendid views.

When the entrees arrived I had a white fish of some sort, bland tasting, but in a nice, rich and flavorful sauce. She had selected lamb which he graciously allowed. We both snickered as he left.

The evening light lingered, we had a very nice chat against the backdrop of the distant Kremlin towers and the official buildings that surround the Arbatskaya Metro area, and we occasionally laughed as our determined waiter stoically brought another glass or two of wine.

The dinner cost somewhere around $150. Most of it went home with her in a sobaka bag, The peaches and the comic determination of the waiter made it well worth the expense.

Check Moscow Hotel Deals