Restaurant Argentina

Grote Kerkstraat 12, Meppel, Netherlands

Restaurant Argentina Meppel Reviews

pms70 pms70
Popular Argentinian restaurant in the centre of town Jan 30, 2010
First of all I must admit that even though this restaurant has been here for years I had never visited it until now. The reason for this being that the outside is not overly appealing although not necessarily unappealing either. I guess I needed someone to invite me to go there and that is exctly what happened. I am glad it did as the restaurant was quite pleasant.

We arrived on a Saturday night without reservations and it was quite busy so we had to wait about five minutes for a table to be cleared and clean cutlery etc. to be laid out. The table was of sufficient size, just a little close to other tables when people were seated at them, although there was no knocking together of chairs. The atmosphere was good, the restaurant is a bit dark but not too much so. There are two levels, with a few steps up to the second level where we were seated.

Drinks orders were taken straight away. They took a while to arrive but as we were talking and looking at the menu that was fine. Our waitress was new: friendly but not very knowledgable yet. (I know what that feels like!)

For starters we both had Chorizos Criollos. It was served very simply with some garnish and two sausages on a plate. The chorizos were nice, spicy but not too much.

For mains my partner had three tortillas, all with a different filling (chicken, beef and pork). I had a dish with different types of meat which included chicken, a skewer with beef and pork ribs. This was served with chips (or baked potato if you prefer). I also ordered a side of roquefort sauce which was wonderful.

Dessert in our case was coffee and a liquor (Licor 43) for me, and a coffee with a Dutch liquor for my partner. Apart from that there was mainly ice cream to choose from.

One thing which made me laugh was the comment the waitress made about the wine. I ordered a red, preferably Spanish, and she said: "I'm not sure we have that, is it ok if we only have Dutch wine?" I think she needs some more training...

We had a wonderful evening here, and even though I thought things took a bit long sometimes, the comment my partner made was that you should take your time for a good meal and good company. Of course he is absolutely right!

We both really enjoyed the food we ordered and the service was very friendly. The owner also came around to check on people which has a nice touch. I would definitely recommend this restaurant!
pms70 says:
There is wine made in The Netherlands so maybe it wasn't completely fair to say the comment was funny, but as it said on the menu they had a choice of Spanish or Argentinian wine maybe she should study it a bit more?
Posted on: Feb 03, 2010
londonstudent says:
Is any wine made in The Netherlands? The climate allows us to make some wine here in the south of England!
Posted on: Feb 02, 2010