Restaurans 1221

Jauniela 16, Riga, Latvia

Restaurans 1221 Riga Reviews

Chokk Chokk
A very cozy place with nice food Mar 08, 2013
It was our first evening in Riga on this trip and my friend who arrived the day before had been doing some scouting after a good restaurant where we could have a great dinner. He decided that we should have dinner at Restorang 1221, and he had therefore booked a table, which turned out to be a good idea as they otherwise would have been fully booked.

1221 even looks great from the outside; it’s located in an old small house where the restaurant occupies the ground and first floor. The woodwork inside is awesome, and after having looked at the coziness of the ground floor tables with candles everywhere I was quite disappointed that the waitress said that our table was upstairs. My disappointment disappeared as soon as I saw the magnificent wooden staircase that we had to access. To my joy the first floor was even more cozy than downstairs and we were seated in a corner in a room behind the staircase where we had a good view towards the 1st floor.

We ordered a couple of local beers while we looked at the menu. We decided to have a couple of vodkas in order to feel local and we therefore ordered the vodka appetizers, which tasted great with vodka. I remember that there were some stuff that I had not expected like pigs fat, but it was quite tasty with the vodka.

As a starter I went for their beaver salad that was more special than it was good; it will certainly not be a new favorite of mine, but now I can say that I that as well. My main was lamp with risotto, which I enjoyed much more. I ended the meal with a coffee and a grappa and felt pretty full and satisfied after my meal. The restaurant was not cheap but not overpriced. The coziness of the place was amazing.
Inside 1221
Inside 1221
Our first beer
Outside 1221
It was very nice ;)
Posted on: Jul 04, 2013
dieforu says:
will keep in mind this restaurant;)
Posted on: Jul 04, 2013
Chokk says:
I agree - beaver is over and done :)
Posted on: Jul 03, 2013
tjwood tjwood
Great Latvian restaurant for WIld Game Apr 18, 2012
AS I was wandering the street of Old Town Riga I happened across this restaurant. It is just of the square of the Dom Church. The outside has that nice old charm to it.

What drew my attention to eating here was that beaver was listed on the menu. I like to try new things and have never eaten beaver. I came back for dinner after finishing walking around.

There is seating on the first floor, but that is three small tables. There are plenty of tables and seating on the second floor, to include a large table in the back for a private party if needed. I choose a table on the second floor near the corner for me. There is light jazz music playing (Frank Sinatra and others) not too loudly so conversation is drowned out.

After talking with the waiter, I opted to have the beaver salad instead of the beaver ragout for two reasons. According to him the ragout masks the true flavor of the beaver and you would not get a sense of the real taste. Second the ragout takes two hours to make for you once you order it.

I ordered the Valpolicellao wine (2 glasses), beaver salad and the roast chicken. The beaver salad comes with pines nuts, pineapple and some type of berries (cowberries I think) over lettuce. The chicken was Corn chicken breast glazed in honey and oranges with potatoes – Parmesan cheese puree and date sauce.

Overall price was 28 Lats or 56 Dollars, so Expensive to most wallets and purses.
2nd level seating, first is a few …
Beaver Salad
Chokk says:
I hope to try this one tomorrow
Posted on: Mar 07, 2013