Rest Area Along CA I-5 (Vista del Lago)

Vista Del Lago Rd., Gorman, CA, USA - (805) 294-0219

Rest Area Along CA I-5 (Vista del Lago) Gorman Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
Vista del Lago Rest Area Jul 06, 2014
We have driven along this interstate highway a million times before and the Pyramid Lake is a constant eye catching but we’ve never really cared to stop until this recent trip to Los Angeles.

From the highway, you only see the lake and some cottage umbrellas so we thought Pyramid Lake is open to public but there is a fee to go inside the land. We drove around and we’re supposed to drive back onto I-5 but we discovered a rest area/visitor’s center called Vista del Lago, just at the bend before the entrance gate to the lake.

We parked, walk inside and how impressive, it is not just a simple rest area but it is like a mini-museum all about water! There’s tons of information that are well presented through a large (almost overwhelming) interactive display about study of water, water companies, water flows, water districts in California and water history in general. In one corner, there is even a scale models of ancient Egyptian, Roman, Indian and Chinese aqueducts.

We did have fun and enjoy the stunning views of mountains and the Pyramid Lake from the back porch of the building. There are even a few over-sized binoculars. I took pictures of the lake which color at that day was very interesting shade of green.

The water fountain in the middle of the reception area must be a pretty feature if it was working but due to the current water drought that is happening in L.A. County it was shut off. But it is still a relaxing spot with the blasting air-conditioning!

There is ample parking so it is not frustrating especially when you need to go right away to the restroom. And best of all are the restrooms are the cleanest!

I do recommend a stop here for a 20-30 minute break from your long drive. You will enjoy and like the place.

And like any restroom in the U.S. everyone is welcome to use for free.
view from I-5
Vista del Lago Visitors Center
Cho says:
I have taken the I-5 several times and remember seeing Pyramid Lake but don't recall stopping at the Visitors Center. I really like the Visitor Centers here in the US and always make it a point to stop at one or two on road trips.
Posted on: Oct 21, 2016
X_Drive says:
Good review!! :D
Posted on: Jul 21, 2014
vances says:
Thanks - I love learning about these hidden gems!
Posted on: Jul 21, 2014