Residencial Zarco Funchal

Residencial Zarco Funchal Rates and Deals

Residencial Zarco Funchal Reviews

anastasiaig anastasi…
50/50 Oct 30, 2012
I stayed here recently for a few weeks and chose it specifically because the reviews were more good than bad, but primarily because it was inexpensive. Sadly, as in most cases, the good things are simply stated and taken for granted, but bad things become glaring by comparison. Don't give more weight to the negative just because I added comments, the positives are pretty amazing.

Good points:

All of the employees are lovely, helpful and friendly. It's easy to find. Centrally located in Funchal with truly easy walking access to most of what you want to see there. Great view from front windows directly at the port and cruise ships. Very clean & cleaned daily. Free wifi (when it's working-90% of the time it is). They wash/dry/fold/deliver your laundry for 5 euros. Free breakfast (only bread/butter, OJ and coffee). No bed bugs (I checked for 20 minutes when I arrived)! Plenty of water/plenty of hot water, decent water pressure, clean bathroom. I'm sure I'll think of more and can update later...

Bad points:

1 - There are 20 steep stairs to reception, 20 to the 3rd floor and another 20 to the top floor. Not easy going to the top floor with a 50 lb suitcase, much less to climb after walking up up up up for hours a day in Madeira.

2 - The single most uncomfortable mattress I've ever slept on in my life, and lumpy unsupportive rewashed pillows that were equally bad for the neck/back. I'm a physical medicine doctor, so believe me, if you have any back problems or are over 25 years old, they're likely harmful (not neutral) for your back (I couldn't turn my neck the last week I was there). I understand the pillows being washed, and appreciate how clean they were, but take your own if you go there and if you're uncomfortable in the bed, ask for another room.

3 - Ask for a room at the back of the building, NOT on the square. It is the noisiest place I've ever had to sleep for many nights with almost 24/7 loud traffic, shouting and background noise. The trashmen picked up glass recycling at 12:20 am, crashingly audible at every restaurant for many blocks around for at least 20 minutes.... imagine that sound waking you. My only full night sleep was my third Sunday, when it was raining.

4 - This might just be a personal pet peeve, but there are few things I hate as much as a plastic or fabric corner shower curtains billowing in and clinging to my butt, arms, back, belly...while I'm showering. Corner showers are never big enough, and I spent literally half my time in the shower fussing and fighting with the curtain just to give myself enough room, and not be shoving it off me constantly. This, to be fair, happens in many small hotels.

I gave them a 4/5 because I would and will absolutely stay at Zarco again, the people and location are fantastic and absolutely worth it (while making a few modifications).

My advice is, STAY HERE, but: take your own pillow, and earplugs (they saved me). Refuse the rooms in front on the square. If your mattress isn't uniformly flat and firm (i.e. haven't been replaced) insist on moving. Take something, anything you can rig up, to hold back that cloying shower curtain.

Residencial Zarco Funchal Overview

With its central location, Residencial Zarco is within easy reach of most tourist attractions and business addresses in Funchal. The Residencial Zarco boasts a convenient location with modern amenities in every guestroom and superb service. In-room facilities include satellite/cable TV, shower, bathtub. The amenities and services offered at this Funchal accommodation include business center, room service, laundry service/dry cleaning. Being one of the good quality hotels in Funchal, guests staying at this hotel will find its convenient location and tranquil atmosphere pleasurable. To make your reservation at the Residencial Zarco quick and easy, please select your preferred dates of stay and proceed with our secure online booking form.

Residencial Zarco Amenities

• Room Service
  • Cable / Satellite TV
  • TV
  • Laundry service
  • Facsimile
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower