Reserva Natural Laguna de Apoyo

Masaya, Nicaragua

Reserva Natural Laguna de Apoyo Masaya Reviews

cate12321 cate12321
Amazing, UNPOLLUTED, crater lake in Nica Jul 02, 2011
After 1 week of working in a health clinic in Ciudad Sandino, I loved my day spent at Laguna de Apoyo. We'd seen a few other lakes in Nica...one with hundreds of isletas (housing both shanties as well as mansions) and spanning acreas. I forget if that was lake Nica or lake Managua??? Our guide on the polluted lake with the many islands informed us that this lake was populated by monkeys...alligators...and sharks. I thought he was full of shit...until we saw the islands of monkeys...later I googled the lake and, true enough, it was home to alligator GAR (watch river monsters for more info on them!) and bull sharks that made the 7 day swim from the Caribbean up the Rio San Juan to the lake...I was very content to NOT have swum there...but I digress.

In Laguna de Apoyo the bottom appears black from volancic ash, but the lake is slightly salty/bouyant feeling and a gorgeous shade of blue. There are restaurants with docks over the water to jump off of, with tubes to float and kayaks to cross the lake.

I recently researched the Laguna as I'd like to return...and MAN I am glad I did not know about the CORAL snakes and all sorts of awesome fish before I went swimming (a bit of a wimp about poisonous snakes). I highly recommend this place for those with an adventurous side who also enjoy a bit of luxury! Rent a house or cabin and pick mangoes or papaya from the many trees dotting the hillside :)

Compare Masatepe Hotel Rates (7.8km away)

Reserva Natural Laguna de Apoyo Map