Reptile Park

Pacific Highway, Somersby, Australia

Reptile Park Somersby Reviews

petit_gooroo petit_go…
Great encounters :) Dec 06, 2009
This park was a great experience to learn more about Australia’s wildlife. Even if it is called reptile park, it is not only a park with reptile.

There are different animals there. Every 30 minutes all day long, they do “shows” to present the animals. The first show I did was to see how they extract venom from the funnel web to create medicine against their bites.

After meeting some lazy kangaroos and wallabies waking up slowly in the picnic area, we met two Galapagos Turtles with a girl presenting them. They are very big and very old: almost 60 years old for Hugo. At lunch time, Hugo goes for a walk around the picnic area.

We then went to the show about reptiles. The guy doing it, the owner of the park I think, is such a show man! He is really funny and smart, with a very special humor. I really liked a lot all the presentations.

We had lunch surrounded by kangaroos, wallabies and emus. They are really used to see people and act like pets; it is really fun and crazy to get so close to them. We learnt more about the Tasmanian Devils, small and cute animals that fight so badly for meat. When they eat, there is nothing left. Not even the bones. Impressive.

The next show was feeding the alligator. Then, it was with the dingoes, beautiful wild dogs. We had the chance to see a baby wombat when we were there, and to take a picture with him, to raise money for the Tasmanian Devil. Tasmanian Devils are in danger because of a disease they give to each others, giving them some kind of tumors.

We wandered around the park, with birds, koalas and other funny species Australia has to offer.

The last show was about venomous spiders and snakes. Australia has 10 of the most dangerous species on its territory. The explanations were very interesting and made so people learn a lot about the species themselves and also about not being afraid of them and react properly in case of danger. He showed us the funnel web cannot bite when it seems to try to attack, and made us understand it is more scared of us than we can be of it. It really makes sense and help to prevent being bitten. As they need funnel web to extract their venom to create medicines, he explained how to catch it if we meet one. Less funny, he also gave advice about how to react if someone gets bitten.

Its demonstration with the snake was also very useful. So far, I have never met a snake but I know there are plenty of them around and I could easily be afraid. However, after the reptile park experience, I may manage my fear and react properly so nothing bad happens. He put around his legs the 3rd most venomous snake in the world. He did not move. The snake totally ignored him. The best thing is of course to avoid the snake and run away. Though, if it gets to close to you, the best thing is not to react and the snake ignores you. I will try to remember that!!

To conclude, I had an amazing time in the reptile park, learning a lot about some animals and having fun with all the kangaroos and wallabies around.
Hugo :D
Glynnes says:
An informative review. Thanks!
Posted on: Aug 01, 2010