Reptile Gardens

(605) 342-5873

Reptile Gardens Rapid City Reviews

SoDakTraveler SoDakTra…
Much more than Creepy Crawlers Aug 04, 2009
I've been to Reptile Gardens twice. Once when I was a little kid, and again about two years ago with my host sister from Japan.

The main things I remember from my childhood visit were the giant tortoises and the bird room. I couldn't believe that a tortoise could be so big!(600 pounds). We still have a picture of my older brother, red-haired, freckled and sunburnt, sitting on one. All of the colorful feathers of the birds had me mesmerized.

My second visit was great. I loved being able to show it to my Host Sister. There's so much to see, snakes, lizards, alligators, komodo dragons. You can learn quite a bit from a visit there.

My younger cousins actually made it to Methuselah's birthday. Methuselah is a 120 year-old galapagos tortoise. The staff had activities planned and even some cake to celebrate. The girls loved it.

If I'm right, there's over 200 species to check out in Reptile Gardens. Make sure to give yourself a couple of hours, depending on how into reading and learning about the creatures you get. During my visits, the staff was very friendly and informative too.
mrgishi mrgishi
May 28, 2007
I am usually one to avoid these types of tourist attractions, but we were trying to find something to do near Rapid City in the morning before we flew out. Reptile Gardens was surprisingly worth a visit. They have an impressive collection of some of the world's most rare and dangerous snakes, reptiles, spiders, etc. They have three Galapagos tortoises, one of which is over 120 years old. They have three entertaining shows featuring snakes, alligators and crocodiles, and birds. They also have many beautiful plants from around the world.

Check Rapid City Hotel Deals