Renting a car in Chicago O'Hare Airport

Chicago, Illinois

Renting a car in Chicago O'Hare Airport Reviews

montecarlostar montecar…
Important things to have in mind Oct 24, 2013
Renting a car in Chicago was a bit different for me compared to other places where I have rented cars. I booked my car online, and my first mistake was not to buy insurance with it. It was offered on the site for $10 bucks per day, and the ad actually said "it might be more expensive if you buy it by the counter" and so it was. $20 bucks per day. I thought it would be just a few bucks more, but it was double. So make sure you buy your insurance in advance.

Also, I found that Chicago's motto should be changed from "The Windy City" to "The toll city", as it has many freeways that require toll pay. Personnel from Hertz offered me to pay my tolls for $4.95 (I thought it was that if I paid $4.95 that could cover the tolls, but later I found that it's that fee for the service of paying your tolls for you -meaning that they will still charge you for the cost of the tolls-). I am glad I refused the service because you can just go online to pay your tolls if you didn't have change when you were driving.

One thing that I found strange was that the cost for refueling the tank (if you returned it empty) was like $9.32 per gallon. I wonder why it was so high, but later I found it's because it's not that easy to find gas stations near the airport, and if you are in a hurry you may not have time to refill it. So make sure you arrive to the airport with enough time, I lost half an hour trying to find a gas station.

As a curious note, this is the only car rental in which personnel has inspected the car before I returned it (this is very common in Mexico, but I had never experienced it in the US).
montecarlostar says:
Haha I was thinking of going to NYC for NYE... but after what you are saying I would probably just take a train... LOL
Posted on: Nov 04, 2013
NJTProadcruiser says:
Tolls in Chicago are nothing. :P You should come to New York, where its going to cost $15 just to drive into New York City from New Jersey.
Posted on: Nov 03, 2013