Rei dos Frangos

Urbanização Terraços da Ponte, Lisbon, Portugal

Rei dos Frangos Lisbon Reviews

davidx davidx
Hungry? cash-strapped? This is for you! Mar 12, 1999
Ian and I first heard some people talking in English about eating outside a restaurant with lots of chicken. They defined it, when asked, as the Rei dos Frangos (King of Chickens in English). They also told us how to find it. Then we found it was in the Rough Guide that we had with us. I saw and heard no reference whatsoever to the Bonjardim (good garden?) which is its name on the website given with Rei dos Frangos as an aka.

In spite of the description we had of how to find it, we became hopelessly lost and were going round in circles. Needless to say, as son as we gave up, we came upon it by accident. There were very long tables with benches in a narrow alley near to a cheap bar. This is pertinent because a fairly steady stream of people emerged from the pub who had clearly been consuming a lot of something strong. The bouncers at the Rei dos Frangos had a busy time but it was amusing rather than perilous.

The menu was a bit misleading - at least for foreigners like us. We were near to orering a sucking pig for me (I had never tried one) and chicken for Ian. Had we done so I htink we should have been there a very long time! Fortunately somebody told us in time that the chicken was meant to serve two - and it did, generously!

The meal was remarkably cheap, considering that it taste like chicken rather than the cardboard often served as cheap chicken. Two days later we were back.

Check Lisbon Hotel Deals