Refugio Amazonas

Check Puerto Maldonado Hotel Deals

Refugio Amazonas Puerto Maldonado Reviews

Vlindeke Vlindeke
Jungle adventure Oct 04, 2009
The last 4 days of a marvellous Peru trip we stayed in the Peruvian jungle: Refugio Amazonas Lodge (La Joya km. 5 s/n Puerto Maldonado).

From the airport of Puerto Maldonado it takes 5 minutes to get to the office of the lodge (drinks and ice cream are provided!), there you can repack your stuff, leave your suitcase in deposit and continue your way with a backpack (or just a bag).

From the office it is about an hour drive to Tambopata River Port, on our way we got a ‘snack box’ (juice, nuts, dried fruit). The boat trip took about 3 hours (drinking water and a nice lunch, see my blog) are provided.

Arriving at the lodge (steep stairs and a 15 minute walk through the jungle, luggage is taking care of) we were welcomed with a cold towel, a drink and a snack!

During our stay all meals and the excursion program (see my blog) and a couple of lectures were included.

The meals were buffet style and very good! All day you could take drinking water, coffee, tea and fruit from a basket.

Each time we returned from a excursion they welcomed us again with a cold towel, a drink and a snack!! I can tell you that you are grateful for it after your walks in the hot, humid climate.

The eco lodge is built of wood and on wooden stilts. Nice style. Friendly staff.

But the most special are the rooms: no doors (curtains!) and only three walls in your bedroom and bathroom. So you can enjoy the jungle noises all night long ;-)

There is no electricity (at the reception you find a generator so you can recharge your batteries during a couple of hours a day), at night oil lamps are lighted and there candles in your room. Make sure to take a flash light for the walks in the jungle and even at the lodge. Safe deposit in your room.

Mosquito nets are above the beds. It is really very special to hear all the noises and feel safe in your bed!

Only cold water to shower, but not as cold as what we call cold at home!

I can recommend this lodge!

For more information: www.perunature.com
Vlindeke says:
I don't remember the price, but not very expensive in my opinion.
Posted on: Jan 12, 2011
I had a great time :)
Posted on: Dec 06, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Refugio Amazonas

Day 11 - Refugio Amazonas
This was a very early morning for breakfast before we set out for a short boat ride up the river.  That turned into an hour long hike to get to the clay lick.  We were on our way to see the…This was a very early morning for breakfast before we set out for a short boat ride up the river…
Day 12 - Refugio Amazonas
Well... today started out as a bit of a bust.  It began storming around 10pm last night.  And by storming I'm talking massive amounts of thunder, lightening and rain.  The thunder and …Well... today started out as a bit of a bust.  It began storming around 10pm last night.  And…

Check Puerto Maldonado Hotel Deals