Red Sun Restaurant & Bar

Kong Oscarsgate 4, Bergen, Norway
www.redsunrestaurant.no - +47 55 31 31 00
Red Sun Restaurant & Bar - Red Sun Restaurant & Bar
Red Sun Restaurant & Bar - Inside Red Sun Restaurant & Bar
Red Sun Restaurant & Bar - Combination of nigeri (salmon, tuna, kingfish, halibut) and maki sushi (tempura roll)
Red Sun Restaurant & Bar - Miso soup

Red Sun Restaurant & Bar Bergen Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Great sushi, but sad service and no atmosphere Apr 14, 2011
Red Sun Restaurant & Bar is located one block from the Fishmarket in the heart of Bergen. This restaurant was recommended to me by several people as the best sushi place in Bergen. We arrived about an hour after they opened and there were already quite a few people there. The interior is very simpel in black, brown and white. They offer Vietnamese, Japanese and Thai cuisine. They also have an extensive sushi menu. The sushi is a bit pricy, but the rest of the food is average priced.

The front room felt very cold, so I asked if we could sit in the room in the back. We got the menu, but the room was so dark I could not read it. It seemd like we were forgotten as well since we were the only people in the second room. We ended up moving back the front room.

I wanted to try a Bento menu, since it included both nigeri and maki sushi as well as tempura, dumplings and miso soup. Unfortunaltely this menu is not served in the evenings and during the weekends. I ended up with a combination of nigeri (salmon, tuna, kingfish, halibut) and maki sushi (tempura roll). The combination I chose included whale meat which I don´t eat, so I asked if I could have salmon instead. This was no problem, but when the food arrived they gave me halibut instead! Not impressed!

The presentation of the sushi was rather dull, but it did taste heavenly. It was obviously made from the freshest of fish. On the table next to us a couple were served a combination plate for two people. What a big difference! It was garnished with lettuce, tomatoes and flowers made of carrot!

The service did no impress me. Our waiter did his job, but with no enthusiasm. He wasn´t unfriendly, but not exactly friendly either. It would have been nice if he at least had smiled. He offered no information about the different types of sushi either and when I asked about the white fish on my plate he said: “It´s usually halibut”. Not impressed! When we had finished our sushi I was so cold I had to order a miso soup, which was very good.

The Restaurant also offers take way and if you like you can rent a part of the restaurant for private parties.

I agree that Red Sun Restaurant & Bar serves the best sushi in town. Would I recommend it? Only if you don´t mind the lack of atmosphere and waiters with no knowledge about what they are serving!
Combination of nigeri (salmon, tun…
Miso soup
Red Sun Restaurant & Bar
Inside Red Sun Restaurant & Bar
Koralifix says:
Congrats on this well-deserved feature, Sarah!
monky says:
Congratulations on your featured review Sarah!
gimpel says:
congrats on your feature.

Check Bergen Hotel Deals