Red Sea Star Underwater Restaurant

Next to the Le Meridien Hotel, Eilat, Israel

Red Sea Star Underwater Restaurant Eilat Reviews

sdashiell sdashiell
A Surreal Experience Indeed Jul 23, 2007
Billed as the world's only underwater restaurant, the Red Sea Star is, interesting. One step inside and anyone who owned-or had access to-a Nintendo as a child feels right at home. The decor is so ... Super Mario. Yes, in keeping with the theme of fish and aquatic vegetation, you are surrounded by giant algae, mushrooms, and wall paint the color of coral reef that has passed its prime. Once you get over the fact that you've been drafted to star in that '80s show', you will appreciate that the menu has a plethora of seafood options. I visited the restaurant at night, when the fish swimming about outside were less visible through the clear glass windows, and, thus, I felt less guilt about eating the "entertainment".

After a quick trip to the lavatory-which is awesome and worth mentioning because you feel like a sea captain travelling to it-I perused the menu, hoping for, but knowing I would not see, shawarma.

Eventually, I ordered a decent, if forgettable, paella. I figured it served me right for ordering Spanish fare in Israel. The only other meal I recall was a type of fish -ordered by a small child. I remember this because it arrived at the table fully intact-with blackened head, eyes and teeth. Perhaps needless to say, the child was not pleased until we turned the plate such that the fish head faced away from her. After that, it was consumed with glee.

All told, I would recommend the restaurant as a convenient place to grab a bite to eat after a long day of swimming in the Red Sea. Do not expect to be wowed. Do take comfort, however, that satisfaction is possible.

Check Eilat Hotel Deals