Red Sand Beach

south of Hana Bay, Maui, USA

Red Sand Beach Maui Reviews

psalm686 psalm686
Red Sand Beach - Worth the effort! Apr 04, 2011
I make it a point to ask the locals about places THEY love - "where would you take friends visiting from out of state?" - and found this amazing hidden secret in Maui :) It is in Hana, and once we got to the village, we asked two other locals to help us get there. We walked across a bit of grass towards two huge garbage dumpsters, wondering what we'd gotten ourselves in to, and then noticed a trampled path to our right between two palm trees.

After passing through the thick foliage into the clearing, the beautiful ocean and cliffs were directly before us. I chatted with another couple locals on the path that seemed to know what they were doing, and was told to stay to the right towards the fence, and then follow one of the paths to the left around the edge of the cliff. This was great advice to make the descent down the face easier, but we did miss a gorgeous old Japanese cemetery going this way. We found it on the way back.

After making our way down to the beach, we headed to the left. We did take our time (hiking directly to the beach from where we parked our car would only have taken 10 minutes at most otherwise) and explored a number of the lava outcroppings. We found some pretty cool things there - including what I called the "Toilet Bowl" - a 4' hole in the lava rock that would fill up with water when the tide rolled in, and then "flush" when the tide rolled out.

After exploring, we got back onto the path towards Red Sand Beach, and heeded the warnings to go slow - the path can be very slippery, and is only 1.5 feet wide in many areas.

Once we looped around the end of the cliff face, we saw Red Sand Beach below us, and it IS breathtaking!

It is very small - a hidden cove surrounded by straight up and down walls of cliff and lava rock. The sand is indeed red, but is more like small rounded pebbles than actual sand, and the cove is perfect for swimming, since the lava rock outcropping totally blocks the rough current. The water is clear and smooth as glass.

We shared the beach with only 7 other people, and a group of 4 young locals had brought a ukelele and were playing and singing for us. It was a very memorable experience. I had brought my hiking clothes, but not my bathing suit and was disappointed to not have taken advantage of swimming there - but will on my next visit.

Related Travel Blogs About Red Sand Beach

Helicopter ride over maui
WE ARE PSYCHED!!!!This is going to be a long day. We booked a helicopter ride over Maui and afterwards, a shuttle van to drive us to Hana. The famous “ROAD TO HANA”.   We should be home…Maui has 30 miles of white, red, and black sand beaches, and has more miles of accessible beach than any of the other…

Check Maui Hotel Deals