Red Hot

Chalton Street, London, United Kingdom

Red Hot London Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Red Hot. They mean it! Jul 06, 2010
Red Hot is a small chain of Szechuan restaurants. I have visited the one near Euston in London, and the one in Manchester’s China town.

Szechuan cuisine comes from a different part of China from the more usual Chinese food you get in Britain (which is generally Cantonese) and I can only assume that it is the perfect countryside for growing chilli peppers. I’m prepared to be wrong, but the food is very very spicy. I had twice cooked pork, which only had one chilli out of a possible three, and thought my mouth was on fire. Unusually for such spicy food, though, there is a real emphasis on making sure that the dishes taste great too, and some really subtle flavours come through the chilli tastes. Some of the dishes on the menu sound quite a lot more exotic than twice cooked pork, and include things like “exploded kidney flowers” which sound like they could be amazing, but I might try them on a night when I have friends I can steal food from if mine is just *too* unusual. Portion sizes are very generous.

The Euston branch is on Chalton Street, which is a nice, quiet road about three minutes from the station, and not far from the British Library. The décor is pleasant, with nice open spaces and lots of good, interesting photos of China on the walls (the sort you might see in National Geographic rather than historical ones).

In both branches I have been in, the service has been great. Prices are reasonable, although not the cheapest. This is a great place to come for a taste of a cuisine that is still genuinely unusual in the UK.

Check London Hotel Deals