Red Chilli Hideaway

Check Kampala Hotel Deals

Red Chilli Hideaway Kampala Reviews

Jen1107 Jen1107
Highly recommended as long as they remember your reservation Apr 18, 2016
I stayed at Red Chilli Hideaway for 3 nights in June of 2015.

The hotel is located in the Kampala suburbs, so if you're arriving at Entebbe airport it takes a little under an hour to get here. Because I arrived late at night and was joining a tour, I already had arranged transportation. My tour company recommended taking a private taxi, which should cost about USD $30-40.

My only problem with this hotel was that they claimed they never received my reservation (made by G Adventures). Instead of putting me in my private room that I'd already paid for, they stuck me in a mixed dorm with 2 males. I was incredibly uncomfortable with this. The next day they realized their error and gave me my private room.

Despite their error, I would recommend this hotel. During my 3 nights I spent one night in a dorm, one in a private room, and one on their camping grounds. All rooms were clean and the shared bathrooms were fine. Sometimes there was even hot water. There is a nice pool and the grounds are beautiful. The hotel can also set up many activities for their guests, although I don't have experience with this.

The highlights of this hotel are the food and the people you meet. The pizza is fantastic and there are so many places to congregate on the property that you will surely meet many people with fascinating travel stories. I spent a full day moving from spot to spot and talking with diverse groups of people. Note: This is a popular stopping spot for tour companies, but there were also plenty of solo travelers.
Red Chilli Hideaway grounds in Kam…
A closeup of the pool at Red Chill…
With total .... smile.
annikepanni says:
Can just imagine ... to be with toal strangers .. because of bad admin ....
annikepanni says:
Can just imagine ... to be with toal strangers .. because of bad admin ....
sarahelaine sarahela…
Red Chilli Nov 10, 2012
Red Chilli Hideaway is a hostel and camping complex in Kampala, very much aimed at backpackers. Accommodation ranges from camping through dorms and private rooms to self contained bungalows. It is based in the suburbs, which means it is quieter and very secure, but on the downside, you have to brave the Kampala traffic to get there. Facilities also include a bar, an acceptable little café, free wifi and access to computers, lockers for valuables and car parking. There is a large wall with a guard at the gate.

The rooms are clean, and the double room we stayed in was spacious and had a good shower and a clean bathroom. The bar areas were nice too. I didn't see the dorms, but our friends liked their bungalow. There is a little plunge pool, and you can get laundry and so on sorted out.

If you are travelling alone, this would be a great place to meet people, and the staff were nice apart from teasing us that they’d lost the reservation (they hadn’t, but after being stuck for two hours in Kampala jams and breaking down on the main road, I had completely lost my sense of humour, but that’s not their fault!).

The hostel also organises tours to various places, including rafting and to Murchison Falls National Park, where they have a sister hostel.

Red Chilli has a good website with current prices. I heard a lot of other travellers mention it as a meeting point on the road, so it’s clearly very popular. I would recommend it.
vicky_mcc vicky_mcc
Good value for money hostel Oct 24, 2012
Redchilli Hideaway has a very fitting name. A hostel and camping ground, this is a reliable retreat for travellers. Tucked away from Kampala's city centre, Redchilli is very peaceful and an ideal place to start a visit to Uganda.

My experience there was very enjoyable, ideal for young people on a budjet, but also very accessible for families and groups, this hostel provides a high standard of service, which is often lacking in some establishments in Uganda.

Services include bar, food service (very prompt for Uganda) which was a mix of local dishes plus familiar favourites, including pizzas, with a very extensive pizza menu (hangover pizza, anyone?), free wifi for guests (when working, not 100% reliable), a book exchange and storage room for additional bags.

One of the best services was the offer of safari. This is not a cheap activity, but it was organised by the hostel over a 3 day period in the Murchison Falls Natioal Park, during which you stay in the sister hostel: Redchilli Murchison.

The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. Evening time provides ample opportunity to socialise with other guests and/or the friendly staff around the bar or in the common/dining room.

One problem with this hostel however was the location. Being slightly further out, it was not as well known to taxi and boda (motorbike) drivers. The journey into the city on one of these would usually take around 10 minutes, but on return, drivers would not know where they were going. We discovered that local drivers would sometimes say yes when we asked if they could take us there, even if they didn't have the slightest idea where the hostel was! I would advise carry a map to avoid getting lost - this happened to me and a friend and was not a pleasant experience. However being out of the centre did provide a quiet and peaceful atmosphere and was perfect if you wanted to get away from the noise of Kampala.

Overall I'd highly recommend this hostel. If you are new to Africa, it is a great place to start and ease yourself in. A perfect hideaway.
At the main entrance