Real Jardín Botánico de Madrid

914 20 30 17

Real Jardín Botánico de Madrid Reviews

Vikram Vikram
The greenery is the only saving grace! Oct 21, 2012
I don't typically write separate reviews for the places I visit, but I figured that my day entry to Madrid would be so long that I might as well create reviews for some, if not all of the sights. You can read more about my Madrid trip here - http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/103985/summary.

So, the Real Jardín Botánico de Madrid! Located deep in the heart of Paseo del Prado, this garden can be a primetime tourist attraction, sandwiched between the Renia Sofia and Prado museums, adjacent to the Parque del Madrid, and faces perhaps the most touristy boulevard in Madrid.

You can read more info here:

And my photos are shared on this review's parent blog.

I don't necessarily think I came across as very impressed though. I always thought public gardens in Europe were free... nosirree...not this one! It does have a minimal 3-4E charge, so it's hardly pocket burning. But I really didn't think it was worth all that, as well. I probably picked the wrong season, but the plants were about very plain (where there was vegetation that is!). And unlike other paid gardens I've been to, there was no theme. Sure, they give you a layout of the place but it was essentially a "grow whatever wherever" kind of thing. Or maybe I've come in a wrong season! The garden's on 3 levels and easily walkable (although boring), and all of them actually have names!

Obviously having not been BORED enough already, I bravely made my way to the Villanueva Pavilion (well truth be told, just to use the bathroom) and there was some kind of exhibition going on - pictures of semi nude women attached to leaves and displayed in a showcase. I thought the idea was novel, if not a boring one. And the pictures too were tacky, not classy.

So after about nearly 1.5 hrs here, I decided to head out - a) I was feeling hungry, b) it had started to drizzle and outdoors were a bit annoying and c) high time I hit the museums!

I would love to visit Madrid again no doubt, but this is one place I don't plan on returning to!
amudha_colaco says:
Can't agree more - very run of the mill plants. There was supposed to be a crystal room plum in the centre of the Jardine, was hard to locate and once located was a let down.
Posted on: Mar 18, 2013
westwind57 says:
"but the plants were about very plain (where there was vegetation that is!)"... That doesn't sound like it is a must-see. I guess you are right, it may have been the wrong season...
Posted on: Nov 29, 2012