Reader's Oasis Books

(928) 927-6551

Reader's Oasis Books Quartzsite Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Tourist Attraction in Quartzsite Jun 12, 2010
In January of 2009, I made a trip to the small town of Quartzsite, Arizona. During this visit I stopped at the town's only bookstore where I was surprised to learn of the town's icon.

I recently made another stop at the town enroute to Lake Havasu. This time around, the town's Icon (a naken old man with only loin cloth), was not at the bookstore. Nonetheless I enjoyed goign through the crowded bookstore and even managed to get three books to read on my next long trip. If you are ever in that part of the world, do make a stop. You will find it interesting.
Africancrab Africanc…
He is the town's Icon 'The Naked old Man' Jan 13, 2009
After two days of trying to entice me to go to the town’s bookstore, the Readers Oasis Books, Mike gave up and settled for lunch at the Mexican Restaurant (Taco Mio). While at the Mexican restaurant our waitress asked if we had seen the “town’s Icon”, Mike could not help himself so he laughed out loud. I replied with a smile, 'I have not had the chance to visit yet'. The waitress insisted we go there, "He is the Town's Icon you know", you must see him at the bookstore’ she said.

So after a hearty meal at Taco Mio we headed straight to the bookstore. Mike retold of his experience about a month earlier when he arrived in Quartzsite and was taken aback to find the shop keeper dressed in a Santa hat, a red shirt and a loin cloth. I could tell from the outside of this little bookstore that it would be a fun place to shop for books. There were free books on the table outside for the taking and three extra booths outside with books all under $4.00. There are rare books, nicely bound vintage classics and all sorts of wonderful titles. I bought 3 hard cover rare early Christian books for $1.00.

As I looked at some books on the Art treasures of the world and the early Christians, Mike pulled me quickly signaling with his eyes to the attendant at the entrance of the bookshop. He is going about this business with customers, wrapping gifts and putting news papers in bags for his visitors. He had nothing on except a little cloth over his manhood and a likelihood of a cowboy hut. He was happy to take photos when I asked if he would oblige me. He had a sign at the entrance to let visitors know that he is photo friendly - the ‘town Icon’ he is called.

I highly recommend a stop at the bookstore, if for nothing else, but to see the rare collection of books.
I took time to read . .