Ratskeller Keopenick

21 Alt-Köpenick, Berlin, Germany

Ratskeller Keopenick Berlin Reviews

OurWorldTrip OurWorld…
Oct 28, 2006
We didn't really fancy a long night out and we decided to have dinner in Koepenick, at least the walk back to the hotel wouldn't be too far then ;)

We were wandering around the Altstadt and the Ratskeller was the first restaurant we came across that was open. So in we went. The place was packed but they had a little table for 2 in the corner. A band was playing that night, so the only table available was in a different room. We could still hear the band a little but we were able to have a conversation.

Our waiter recommended a wine for us and we went for it. It was a good decision, it was a lovely white from Meissen. I always forget how good german wine is.

We skipped the startes and went staright for mains. I had a Heringstopf (Salted herring with apples and onions in a creamy sauce) with potatoes and Ed went for Ratsteller (I think). The Ratsteller had Kassler (similar to a gammon steak) and beef and pork filet, vegetables and potato croquettes. The food was with us in no time, even though the place was buzzing! It was absolutely delicious too. The portions were big enough to fill our bellies but not humongous as you normally expect with german restaurants.

I was looking forward to dessert as well and I ordered Rote Gruetze (some type of red fruit jelly) but our waiter recommended the Mohnpilen. As his recommendation for the wine was excellent already, I went for it. It was fantastic! He said that it is an old recipe from Schlesien but often eaten in Berlin. Nowadays you sadly don't see it around that much anymore and what a shame it is. It is basically white bread soaked in milk and heated with raisins, almonds and poppy seeds. Once it is hot you turn of the heat and let it cool. When refrigerated you can take scoops out of it and they have served it with cream and custard. A heavenly dessert and I can only recommend it, if you come across it.

The total bill came to Euro 46! Excellent value and fantastic service. I can only recommend the Ratskeller and when I return to Berlin, I will go to Koepenick just for this restaurant.

They also have a program on every month. Different Jazz bands and once a month it's transformed into an irish pub with folk music and Guinness :) Check out the website for the program.

Check Berlin Hotel Deals