Ras al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary

www.wildlife.ae - +971-4-6066822

Ras al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary Dubai Reviews

pilgrim68 pilgrim68
Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary Feb 05, 2016
Dubai is not just a destination for millions of tourists each year,it’s also a hotspot for tens of thousands of migrating birds. In the wetlands, just metres away from the city, you’ll find the Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary. Translated as ‘Cape of the Creek,’ Ras Al Khor sits at the mouth of Dubai’s Creek where the waters merge into the desert.It is among the few protected urban areas in the world.

This wildlife haven covers an area of 620 hectares and features a combination of salt flats, intertidal mudflats, mangroves, and lagoons. It’s this precious environment that supports more than 20,000 water birds and 67 specie,.

A critical staging ground for the wintering birds of the East African to West Asian Flyway. The site is also home to more than 500 species of flora and fauna.

There are three bird hides located on the perimeter of the sanctuary. Only one was open at the time of my visit.the other two were being refurbished.

It’s the flamingos that steal the show in winter. At the last count there were over 500. But look c among the mass of pink feathers and it’s possible to spot grey herons, great egrets, reef herons, cormorants, black-winged stilts, sandpipers, osprey and many more.

There are very few things to do in Dubai that are free,so if you are a wildlife lover this should definitely be on your list of things to do.
travelwithsuz travelwi…
RAS AL KHOR WILDLIFE SANCTUARY…SUPPORTING MORE THAN 20,000 WATER BIRDS Mar 15, 2015
I was driving along Ras Al Khor en route to Dubai Mall, one bright and sunny day. I couldn't believe my eyes when saw on my right a swamp, full of pink flamingos. Pink flamingos in Dubai? Well, that question moved me to research further and find out more about how these fancy birds came into the city.

As soon as I got access to the web, I googled the words flamingos in Dubai and found the homepage for Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary (RAKWS). The website (http://www.wildlife.ae) provides the history, it's mission to become a beacon in the country's quest for biodiversity, the location, the fact sheet.... everything and anything you would like to know about the RAKWS.

Honestly speaking, I just wanted to see the birds up close and personal. So I rang the number published on the website and was answered politely by a personnel who explained that there are three bird hides I can go to. So today, I scheduled a visit and followed the instructions given. On the way, I was a bit apprehensive because in my mind, the driving instructions and even the map shown on google was complicated to follow plus the fact that after passing that route many times in the past, I never saw a sign that will lead me to the wildlife sanctuary. But, using my driver's instincts, I immediately saw the small service road where I can park my car and found the pathway which led me to the bird hide.

The bird hide is a small shack made of wood, with an area of about 30 sq meters. The walls were surrounded by glass awning windows. There were wooden stools available for the visitors to sit on while

peering through the binoculars provided by the sanctuary, allowing the visitors a chance to get a closer look at the different varieties of birds. There were a few bird watchers in the room20150315_130845 (2) and it was amazing to hear them talking about the species, where it came from and what food they eat. Most of them were also using their high powered Nikon cameras with proper zoom lenses. I looked at my Galaxy phone and there was a pang of jealousy.

After spending a few minutes, I drove to the 2nd bird hide . And there they were, basking in the sun, hundreds of pink flamingos!

The birds were having a siesta when I came to visit so they were

about a kilometer away from the viewing point, thus, my photos of

the flamingos were unidentifiable. However, I was told that in the morning, I can see them up close and personal during feeding time (between 9:00 to 9:30 am or 3:00 to 3:30 pm). So yes, I will be back soon to see them once again.

Check Dubai Hotel Deals