Rao Hotel and Restaurant

No street names., Oekusi, East Timor
Rao Hotel and Restaurant - Standard Timorese breakfast.
Rao Hotel and Restaurant - Simple restaurant setting.
Rao Hotel and Restaurant - Clearly signposted on road
Rao Hotel and Restaurant - All mod cons- if there's power.
Rao Hotel and Restaurant - New facilities -if water is on.
Rao Hotel and Restaurant - New beds
Rao Hotel and Restaurant - New rooms

Rao Hotel and Restaurant Oekusi Reviews

goezi goezi
Oecussi retreat May 25, 2010
Rao Hotel and Restaurant is the only place within the Oecussi township but that's no problem, the place is more than adequate and reasonably priced for a modern hotel with good facilities. The friendly Chinese owner also speaks very good English.

I stayed for a single night and arrived unannounced at 10am. I was told the only room available was a twin room and arrangements were made to make up two beds. After explaining to the young Timorese houseboy that I didn't need sheets on any more than one he grin and left me to it.

The water wasn't on yet as the power is needed to pump water the the rooms but the bathroom was equipped with a flushing toilet, wash basin with tap and a shower. No hot water but these things beat the usual Timorese bucket shower/toilet flusher.

The generator was turned on at about 6pm and ran most of the night. This kept my fan working -nice relief from the hot Oecussi night! The trouble came when I got up at 8am in the morning to find the generator was off and no power meant no water to my lovely bathroom.

After a breakfast of bread rolls and jam with coffee I asked for water and the power was started again so I could complete my ablutions.

There was also a television in the room and a large satelite dish in the compound. For some unknown reason the two did not communicate with each other so the TV choices were easy; blue screen, static screen or off.

I had dinner in at the restaurant. I was given a choice of chicken or fish and went for the chicken. The meal was ready for me at the appointed time and the very nicely seasoned chicken (which was a little dry) came with a generous serving of rice and some watery leafy vegetable something like spinach. I also had a small cool water to wash it down with.

When I checked out the following day I paid US$39 for my experience, broken down to $35 for the twin room (no discount for being on my own) and $4 for dinner.

On the whole this was very typical of most Timor Leste hotels out of Dili. I would have liked a better rate for not using both beds but if I had a friend it would have been very reasonable.
Clearly signposted on road
New rooms
New beds
All mod cons- if there's power.
goezi says:
I'm sure that can be arranged once my retirement begins Britt -see you then!!
Kia ora mate. C
Posted on: May 29, 2010
williamsworld says:
I need to really hang out with you. Take care my friend
Posted on: May 27, 2010