Rancho la Puerta

Check Tecate Hotel Deals

Rancho la Puerta Tecate Reviews

jaeden jaeden
Expensive but worth it, spa and fitness vacation Sep 13, 2008
I've never been to a spa before so I may be slightly biased to Rancho La Puerta but, wow. Majority of the guests I met while at the spa were returnees. I think the winner of the week had been to the spa 45 times. That sounded excessive when I first heard it but when I think back to the week I spent there, I can totally imagine another 44 trips there being just as amazing.

I'm not quite sure where to begin when reviewing the Ranch. First of all, a stay at the Ranch starts on a Saturday and ends on a Saturday. Sometimes they have weeks where they aren't full and can accommodate partial-week visits but I hear this is quite rare. The Ranch was started in 1940 and has been around ever since, promoting 'health and wellness of mind, body, and spirit.'

When you arrive at the airport in San Diego, you are whisked away by a coach for the hour long ride to the Ranch (you can also drive there if you so wish). I spent the ride trying to read everything in the packet they gave me while also trying not to vomit...Anyway. I was overwhelmed by all the classes they offer. From yoga to dance, feldenkrais to tennis, water works to stretch. There's almost something for everyone. On top of that, there were a dozen or so arts & crafts classes, nutritional talks, and lectures on everything from fitness to photography!

As soon as I arrived at the Ranch, I felt like all the stress had melted away. The grounds are impeccable, finely manicured lawns and beautiful flowers with the odd fruit tree here or there. Everything is spread out to encourage walking and the beautiful paths make you forget you have to walk! There are four pools spread out throughout the resort, including the Activity Pool, brand new this year. There are half a dozen different gyms for different classes as well as lots of outdoor seating and hammocks to enjoy.

To make everything all the more better, the food is incredible. I've never once imagined I would be vegetarian but after a week of Ranch food, I think I could definitely do it! The food is fresh, grown just 2 miles away at their organic garden. I think we had fish three times during the week and hardboiled eggs every morning but other than that, everything was veggies and more veggies. I can't remember everything we had but there were never any repeats (except for breakfast...because let's be honest, there aren't too many breakfast foods out there). They took amazing care of all of the guests including the invalids like myself who have allergies by the dozen.

I'm sure I could go on and on about the Ranch but I don't want to overwhelm. The price may seem steep but once I got there, all I could think about was how I was going to get back! I spoke to a member of the staff who told me that Rancho La Puerta isn't just some company to work for, it's a family. Most of their staff never leave, staying for upwards of 30 years! The staff only work 5 days a week but get paid for 7 and they get full health and dental benefits (This is better than both the brewery and the Toyota plant, the two biggest employers in Tecate).

Maybe one day I'll see you at the Ranch!

Quick note: I forgot to mention you can get all the usual spa treatments while at Rancho La Puerta. It isn't all about fitness. These are not included in the price unfortunately. There's also hands-on cooking classes for an additional cost. You learn how to make some of your favourites with fewer calories!
The lawn behind the central pool d…
Some of the dishes made at La Coci…
The view on the organic breakfast …
Rancho La Puerta's organic garden