Raleigh-Durham Airport tip

RDU Airport, Raleigh, NC, USA

Raleigh-Durham Airport tip Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Tips to avoid speeding down the concourse in an attempt not to miss your flight Mar 11, 2012
RDU is a a lot larger than some of the other airports in the south. Even as you land, you see how long the airport terminal is. I traveled to RDU in March 2012 as had a layover on my way back to DC from Miami. I had an 80 minute layover and we even got there a few minutes early. I had previously called a friend who lives 10 minutes away and thought we'd catch up for half an hour. I walked out into the airport and she and I chatted at Starbucks for a while. I had half and hour til my flight departed and we got up, said our good-byes and I made my way back towards security around 730pm.

There were only 2 people in front of me and security was a breeze. I realized my gate was, of course, at the opposite end of where I was and started to make my way down towards what would surely be a small crowd trying to get onto the plane. About 80% of the way down to gate 22!, I hear my name over the loud speaker announcing that this was the last call! WHAT! Me, my backpack and my shoulder bag sprinted down the concourse passed empty waiting areas and one basketball team on the way to their plane. There was no one in sight save for a few airport employees sitting in the seats and counting down the last few minutes of their shift.

I approached my gate waving my plane ticket in the air. I got to my gate and was wheezing (I don't have asthma), but the sudden requirements I made of my body was audible and I had to be coaxed to breathe in and slow my breathing down. I got on my plane and off we went. It was one of those tiny planes where there's one aisle on one side and 2 aisles on the other, so everyone had boarded quickly and even though I had had 10 minutes til take-off, everyone had boarded and they were just ready-Pff!

The moral of the story is that RDU is bigger than you probably think and they have more restaurants than I'd expect, but stay close to your gate because if you miss your flight, everything seems to shut down around 8pm and you will end up spending a very lonely night at the airport.

Check Raleigh Hotel Deals