Rajkó Folklore Ensemble

Zrinyi Utca 5, Budapest, Hungary

Rajkó Folklore Ensemble Budapest Reviews

huibdos huibdos
Music and dance Aug 06, 2010
When you are on the street, leaflets are handed over of all sorts. One of them was for a folklore evening.

Maybe I looked not like their target audience, because I had to take one from the gate near the bridge.

I had the hotel made the reservation, so I was ensured of a ticket.

The timing for the dinner at the Indian restaurant was great, just a few minutes to freshen up and then of to the show, coincidentally just around the corner.

The theater at the Zrinyi street is small, but all off-white and golden. Paintings are near the cealing and reliefs are giving it the athmosphere of a theatre of the early 1900's.

In the middle of the ceiling is a chandeliere hanging from a tiffany half-sfere (I am so depressed that I left my camera at the room, ther IS enough light to make pictures)

The Rajkö folklore group is formed of a band of musicians and a group of dancers.

The band plays music, and the dancers dance, but the band plays more pieces than the dancers will dance.

The program will take more than one and a half hours.

When the band starts playing (eight violins, a cello, a string bass, a hammered dulcimer and one clarinet, who sits a bit in the back) I feel a bit sorry for the clarinet.

But after a couplet in the Hungarian dance (Brahms), he has a solo and everybody knows he is virtuoso! (Yeah).

The dancing is a performance you might see on television. Superfast, great timing, handsome men, lovely girls, absolutely nothing compared to an evening-dance in the local community hall (though that can be nice too:)

There are three folklore groups doing a show. Next time I am in Budapest I will try to visit the others, but to visit this group again would be no problem for me.

Sometimes they are on tour. If I notice, I will visit them in our theatre.

Check Budapest Hotel Deals