Raise a Flag at Carnivore!

Nairobi, Kenya

Raise a Flag at Carnivore! Nairobi Reviews

easyjobrob easyjobr…
Aug 08, 2005
Carnivore needs to be a must for any non-vegetarian!

We took 3 taxis from the Norfolk Hotel and headed out to the Carnivore Restaurant. It took about 20 minutes of bumpy travel to get to an area bordering the National Park and the city proper.

What greeted us was a vast restaurant that seemed to cater to both tourists and the wealthy(ish) locals. We had booked a table for 20 as we had friends coming from the Serena and the Landmark. We had booked ahead as we were unsure if they could cater…we need not have worried as a table of 20 is small fry to Carnivore.

We were welcomed very warmly and lead to our table. Arrange before us was a long table with a spotless white table cloth (that would not be spotless and hour later!) that had the basics on it. We all sat and ordered a huge round of Tusker Beer that arrived fast and cold…and then kept coming and the merest request @)

Basically Carnivore is an all you can eat restaurant with a great bar and also a nightclub/discothèque attached.

You raise a small flag on your table and the waiters will start circling the table with all sorts of bar-b-q-ed meat on them. They will tell you what it is, you nod and then a hunk (and I do mean hunk) of meat will arrive on your plate…this is not a place for the squeamish or anti-meat eater.

The portions simply keep coming, with lashings of ice cold beer until you simply have to give up and lower your flag!! A pal did raise his again to see what would happen and the waiters descended once more, I had to help him out @)

The meat ranged from the commonplace to the exotic, we had:

And a few I could not identify or was not told about. It was all fantastic and after the meal (and settling up…about £25 ($50) per person) we then danced until about 2am when we started to form splinter groups returning to the hotel.

The taxi driver was delighted to wait all night for us and as such was richly tipped at the end of the trip.

A real must for any visitor to Nairobi, unless you really love to just look at the wild life (I understand that the meat is all farmed and is not bush meat!).

Yummy @)
williamsworld says:
Giraffe had to have been my favorite after the lamb. I got that combo plate and asked them not to tell me what was on it until I finished. The wilderbeast was horrible, as was the impala. I got a few photos and bought an apron. It was a lot of fun.
Posted on: May 26, 2008