Railway Hotel and Motel

Check Hokitika Hotel Deals

Railway Hotel and Motel Hokitika Reviews

gingerbatik gingerba…
Budget room Dec 20, 2016
We see this hotel building when we stop at the information center in Hokitika city to get a city map. Since both of us like and love an old style buildings, we decided to check it the hotel out, since the hotel building looks really nice and beautiful like an old colonial Spanish building.

When we go inside, there is no reception area, it only has a bar area with many people drinking beers. We asked the staff at the bar counter if they have room available. He said yes and he gives us a key and directions to the room which is located outside the main building and it was a small motel unit without any services. Apparently they are renovating the main building so we were not able to stay in the main building.

I don’t particularly like the room as it was quite small for the studio unit and kind of dirty in my opinion. For the price of NZ$100 per night for two people, this is the cheapest place we find as we checked out two other motels around the area after that. We decided to stay there as we only sleep in and do not come to enjoy the view from this place, which do not have any view anyway. We have to pay the room in advanced as there is no services and the bar will be closed early in the morning. The staff advise us to leave the room key inside the room when we check out and just lock the door since they have an extra key.

We can park our car right outside our unit and there is a small and ugly patio chair and table to seat right outside the room. It has one double bed, table and chairs, microwave oven, refrigerator, sink (minus cooking equipment or oven), and free tea or coffee with water boiler.

The bathroom was big and basic, but working in orderly. It takes a bit of time for the water to become hot, but after that everything was good and water pressure was good as well. I do not remember if soap provided or not, probably is, since towels was provided free of charge.

Unfortunately I have to clean the whole place before we settle in, well.. probably it was a habit of me, even though we stay at 4 stars hotel, I still have to clean the cabinet and the toilet.

The staff who manning the bar counter recommend the Chinese restaurant which located at the main hotel building, since no other restaurant open at this place at night time. Can you imagine, it is really nightmare for me. No restaurants open….

We dine at the Chinese restaurant in the main hotel building and it was okay, taste was so so and the price was very cheap, so no complain there.
the hotel building
the clock tower right outside the …
the motel unit