Radisson Blu Hotel Tromso

Radisson Blu Hotel Tromso Rates and Deals

Radisson Blu Hotel Tromso Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
You can find better Nov 07, 2010
Radisson Blu Hotel Tromsø is centrally located in the heart of Tromsø and right on the harbour. If you are going on a cruise on Hurtigruten along the Norwegian coast, the ship docks only 2 minutes walk from the hotel.

I have stayed several times at the Radisson Blu Hotel Tromsø, but that was years ago and before it was expanded and completely renovated in 2007. I was so excited to be back, but it turned out to be a big disappointment. The reception staff is your first impression of a hotel. The lady did check us in without any delay or problems, but it was not with a friendly smile. It seemed like she was bored or sick of her job. I was very surprised since it did not used to be like that.

The rooms are small, but convenient enough. It did not look like they had been renovated only three years ago though. The only inconvenient thing was the flat screen TV, which was stupidly placed on the side of the bed, which means that you either have to break your neck or lay sideways to watch TV. If you are working at the desk, the TV is right behind you. Not easy to keep an eye on the screen. There is no coffee//tea making facilities nor a safety deposit box in the room either. They do get a plus for free WI-FI.

The bathrooms are extremely small. If you sit down on the toilet to quickly you´ll hit your head on the washbasin. The tiles look like they are done by an amateur, very poor workmanship. It´s nice with the heated floor though. Another problem is the drainage. After a shower there was a pond on the floor between the toilet and the washbasin. I showered in the evening and the same pond was there in the morning.

Other facilities are the Aurora a la Carte Restaurant with its Arctic menu, Yonas Pizzeria, the Lobby Bar and the Rorbua Pub. Probably Norways best know pub since it was the location for a TV series. The Top Relax Centre on the 10th floor offers cardiovascular equipment, sauna , solarium and a great view of the harbour, the Arctic Cathedral and the surrounding mountains.

The airport bus stops right outside the hotel and a taxi stand is across the street.

Radisson Blu Hotel Tromsø lacks the warm feeling and the friendliness it used to have. There are 4 hotels next to each other just at the harbour. You can easily find a much nicer hotels in Tromsø.

We have a company deal with this hotel, so I don´t have a choice, but if I was travelling on my own I would not stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel Tromsø. A few years ago I had an incident with this hotel. At 3:20 am I was woken up by two strangers entering my room. It turned out that a girl (who had picked up a guy in a bar) had walked into the reception in the middle of the night saying that she had forgotten her key card and was staying in room no 619 ,which was my room. The receptionist had just made her a new card without checking anything. She was actually staying in room no 618. I was furious. Not only from being scared, but also that there was no control of who entered and exited the hotel rooms. Anyone could just walk in from the street, get access to the rooms and steel and rape people. I was way beyond angry. I never got an apology from the hotel on my complaint, not even an answer!
Radisson Blu Hotel Tromsø
The reception
Guest PC
Polar bear in the reception
dieforu says:
good to know..thanks Sarah..im searching place for Tromso:-)
Posted on: Nov 20, 2010
Vlindeke says:
Useful review! Thanks :)
Posted on: Nov 07, 2010
Glynnes says:
Nice review. Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Nov 07, 2010
gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Not 100% satisfied Feb 01, 2010
I came to Tromsø at night and the hotel is only about 10 minutes from the airport by taxi and it was about 135 kroner (about 23 US dollars at the moment). There is also a bus service but it is not the frequent.

We had room 453 located on the 4th floor and it was a pretty big room and it cost 1170 kroner per night (200 US dollars) for two including taxes and breakfast. The entire room had a rust red carpet, 2 windows but not with much of a of a view as we looked over to another section of the hotel. The room had a two seat black leather sofa and a similar style chair and a low table. There was also a low table, a desk with a chair and a flat screen TV mounted on the wall. The TV was facing the leather chair and it was not possible to twist the TV towards the bed – I think this would have been a great feature. When lying in bed it was hard to see the TV image and it was also hard to use the remote control to change channels (maybe due to the angle?).

There was also a wardrobe with regular hangers which I think is nice, a small safe where you put in your own pin code and a small mini bar. I think a soft drink like Coke was about 42 kroner (about 7 US Dollar). In the hall leading into the room there was a small ironing board and one of those cheap, horrible irons. The room was equipped with some pretty funky and modern lamps but it was hard to control the lightning individually as there was one main switch that killed all the light.

The bathroom was tiled in white and green tiles on the walls and black tiles on the floor. There were some amenities – the usual shower and shampoo and a lotion and the bathtub had a shower option with a glass panel to avoid water from splashing everywhere. I still think the bathtubs should be removed from hotel rooms as I never use it but maybe I’m different from your average hotel guest. One major flaw in the bathroom was the fact that there was no heating in the floor! At least it didn’t feel like it when we were there and hence the bathroom was quite cold and when we took a shower the water would run down from the cold walls. To compensate the ventilation suction was so strong that it felt like there was a constant breeze when we were in the shower.

When entering the room there was a sign saying “Welcome to your business class room” and there was a list of items that should be included. The problem was that several of the items were not there. It would have been great to have slippers and a bathrobe as it was quite cold in Tromsø when we were there and the heating barely seemed to keep up with the cold outside the windows. There should also have been a Nespresso coffee machine but the only thing that was left in the cupboard were some Nespresso capsules. When I mentioned this to the reception I got a water boiler instead which was nice of course but not the same as a Nespresso machine. A morning paper should also be included in the business room and we got it on a Friday but not on the following day. Pay TV was also included in this but the TV signal was pretty bad a times and when watching movies on the pay TV a piece of another film would keep on popping up in the film we were watching.

Radisson Blu has a 100% guest satisfaction which I think is just a PR stunt. I’m not 100% satisfied with our stay and guess I should have complained about more of the issues that I have mentioned above. But I think when they have listed what a room should contain it should not be up to the guest to point out all the things that are missing. And before I stop complaining: the iron is really lousy. I do understand that you have to keep the ironing board small but there should have been a proper steam iron. I assume that a lot of the people that get this room are people that are there on business and that would like to iron a shirt before going to a meeting. Getting a shirt to look nice with that iron would take no less than a miracle.

But let us focus on some of the things that were good. The location of the hotel is very good. Located right on the harbor it is within minutes from most of the attractions in Tromsø. The breakfast was very good and included scrambled eggs, bacon, sautéed mushrooms and you could also order eggs in various ways. Apart from that there was a nice selection of fruit, cereal, bread and pastry etc. And I cannot remember seeing tran at a hotel breakfast before – that is oil of cod liver that we Norwegian normally take with breakfast in the wintertime :-) There is free wifi in the rooms and I think this is a great feature. But I did have some problems getting my iPhone online on the wifi.

All in all this is not a bad hotel at all and it clearly deserved a 4 rating in my opinion even if I was tempted to rate it three as some of the expectations were not met. I have complained to Radisson Blu before on issues and I have yet to get a proper answer in line with their 100% guest satisfaction. If you are looking for a hotel in Tromsø, Radisson Blu is not a bad option at all.
Entrance to the hotel
Lobby
Business room info
The bed
sylviandavid says:
thanks for your report on this motel.... I was looking to see if there was a report on the town too. sylvia
Posted on: Feb 08, 2010
Eric says:
Sorry to hear that your stay was less than expected, but thanks for sharing this great review with TB!
Posted on: Feb 01, 2010

Radisson Blu Hotel Tromso Overview

Location. Radisson Blu Hotel, Tromso is located in Tromso, close to Art Museum of Northern Norway, Tromso Cathedral, and Polar Museum. Nearby points of interest also include Mack Brewery and Polaria. Hotel Features. Dining options at Radisson Blu Hotel, Tromso include a restaurant and a coffee shop/caf. A bar/lounge is open for drinks. Room service is available during limited hours. Recreational amenities include a sauna and a fitness facility. This 4.0 star property has a business center and offers small meeting rooms, secretarial services, and audio visual equipment. Complimentary wireless Internet access is available in public areas. This Tromso property has event space consisting of banquet facilities, a ballroom, and exhibit space. The property offers a roundtrip airport shuttle (surcharge). Business services and wedding services are available. Additional property amenities include multilingual staff, ski storage, and currency exchange. Guestrooms. All guestrooms at Radisson Blu Hotel, Tromso feature minibars and windows that open. Bathrooms feature phones, designer toiletries, and hair dryers. Wireless Internet access is available. In addition to desks, guestrooms offer multi line phones with voice mail. Televisions have satellite channels and pay movies. Rooms also include trouser presses and clock radios.

Radisson Blu Hotel Amenities

• Exhibit Space
  • Wheel Chair Access
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Solarium
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower