Radisson BLU Saga Hotel Reykjavik

Radisson BLU Saga Hotel Reykjavik Rates and Deals

Radisson BLU Saga Hotel Reykjavik Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Okay, but not great Oct 07, 2010
Radisson Blu Saga Hotel is a located in the outskirt of Reykjavik close to the University. Outskirt does not mean that it is far from the city centre. It´s only a 10 minutes walk.

The receptionist was courteous, but could have been friendlier and a smile would not have hurt. She offered no information, it was only when I asked questions she informed about facilities etc.

The room was good, had a double bed and a desk. Facilities like minibar, flat screen TV and an electronic safe was also there. And a big plus for free WI-FI.

The bathroom was another story. It was tiled, but old and worn and the towels had holes in them. The ventilation system was so strong so it made the bathroom ice cold. Not very comfortable after a shower. The room was clean, even though they forgot to empty the rubbish bin, but the bathroom needed a real cleaning. I got a room in the old wing, a wing that is in desperate need of renovation. I saw Harriet and Marks room in the new wing and the bathroom was a huge difference.

The Skrúđur Garden Restaurant served a buffet breakfast, which was average. Service there was a bit unorganized. They were slow in cleaning the tables when people left, but quick to take your plate away when you went to get a coffee. My half finished plate was gone before I even turned around. Quite irritating!

The Grillid Restaurant on the 8th floor serves gourmet food and you can enjoy the panoramic views over Reykjavik. I have heard good things about the restaurant, but did not have the chance to try it myself.

The Lobby bar was busy at night.

The hotel also offers a Spa with a fitness room. I did not use it so I can´t tell what it was like.

The Radisson Blu Saga Hotel is nothing more than an average hotel. I would say lower than the usual Radisson standard. It´s okay if you are only looking for a place to sleep.
Africancrab says:
That is absolutely right. In fact the photos on their website are quite inviting.
sarahsan says:
I guess it´s like the websites, they always show much nicer photos than what the places are really like!
Africancrab says:
Indeed, you did them a lot of good by taking such lovely photos. Many people are visual, they just might go by what they see. I confess I'm one of the visual people.
Africancrab Africanc…
A little on the pricey side, well situated and convenient Oct 08, 2010
Located near the city center, this historic four star hotel is a mere ten minutes walk to downdown Reykjavik. My boyfriend and I, stayed 3 nights in a double room without breakfast. We had booked the hotel bak in the US using Booking.com for $99.00 a night which is the equivalent of 72 Euros at the time of booking. The reception area is to the left and flows right into the lounge and open bar as you walk In. The décor is warm and inviting.

Our room was excellent, it came with all the attention that the Radisson hotels offer except for the beds. We initially booked a double room with a king bed, but since we had arrived so early in the morning, the front desk was kind enough to give us an early check in. We were the offered a double room with two twins (well the twins are really not twins if you are an American). I forgot how standard the bed sies are in Europe, living in the United States we take things for granted. The two beds put together did not amount to a queen size bed in the US. If you are a plus size person, you might have a hard time being comfortable on it. I would recommend a king bed if one is a plus size.

In the room we also had a wall mounted plasma screen TV, we had an electric kettle so we could boil hot water for coffee or tea. We had coffee, tea, creamer and sugar with two coffee mugs and 4 glasses. The glasses were intended for water and perhaps orange because two were taller and two shorter. In the closet we had extra blankets and two extra pillows which we both enjoyed.

In the bathroom, we had fresh towels with the extra soaps, shower cap and lotions. The water smells of sulfur, but there is nothing one can do about it. The water is soft water so the soap leathers pretty good.

Caution: The hotel is undergoing rennovations, but it is not visible from the outside. Half of the hotel is already rennovated (the side we stayed in) and the other half is not (has the old décor). Be sure to ask for the rennovated rooms and you might get one if they have it available. The hotel was not busy and given the economic situation in Iceland right now, they are giving dicounts on most everything.

Service: The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We need not talk to many but the few at the reception upon arrival and at the restaurant where we had breakfast on the first day. The Skrúđur Garden Restaurant served a buffet breakfast, I particularly liked the buffet because they had seafood included in the breakfast. We really did not need service at the restaurant because everything was set at the buffet. When we first went in, the lady at the paystand answered our questions and urshered us in. The breakfast was about $14.00 per person. Free internet/Wi-Fi is available. We were able to connect our laptop and communicate online while at the hotel.

The above having been said, I still think the standard of the hotel was much lower than that of other Radissons I have stayed at. I would rate it a 3 star or lower only because there is so much that can be improved to set the standard higher. Perhaps after the renovations, it will get better reviews. The price is steep for what you get, but Iceland in general is not a cheap country. I would definitely recommend the hotel, if nothing else for it’s convenience and proximity to the city center. Like I always say, what I write here is based on my experience, yours might be different. Let me know what you think by leaving me a comment below.
Mark184 Mark184
Affordable and well Located Oct 13, 2010
For three nights, from October 8-11th I stayed at the Radisson. The price was about $100.00 per night for the hotel, but it came with all the bells and whistles of a Radisson. The biggest disapointment were the beds. There were two beds, I don't believe they made up twins by themselves, and when pushed together they were just shy of a queen. They were comfortable, just small, and even though I've stayed in European Hotels before they just seemed unusually small. Aside from the beds, the room came stocked with a mini bar and decent view. The location was about 10 minutes walk to downtown, but just far enough away that you didn't have to worry about drunken singers in the night. The receptionist were generally knowledgeable and nice. Overall I'd stay there again, although I'd try to get a larger bed.
Africancrab says:
Ha-ha, that is so true Christian, our beds kept wondering around.
Chokk says:
Beds are often shit in Europe compared to US - they quite often put 2 single beds together and call it Kingsize!! Always bring a QuickGrib so the beds dont wander at night.

You can get good beds put then you also have to stay in a high-end hotel.
Posted on: Oct 18, 2010
Africancrab says:
The accommodation was good, I have a lot ot say about the beds. But we Americans are quite spoiled with big things I should add, so naturally the beds looked like such a joke in comparison. I loved the breakfast though.
Posted on: Oct 13, 2010
antheos antheos
best value for money Jan 30, 2010
A very well respected Hotel by the locals... It is the oldest fine Hotel of Reykjavik... hosted leaders, Kings and Queens, movie stars etc.

Now days seems old... especialy the old wing of the Hotel.. Some renovations are held in the main lobby and the dining room... but elevators.. stairs.. corridors of the old wing needs urgently a renovation.

Standard rooms on the last floor are quite small... quite good for a single use.. but definitely not for a double use.The service was just ok everywhere... fast.. efficient.. no problems, but staff seemed not happy at all doing this job. Paying 60 Euros per night for a single use breakfast included as well as wifi internet.... that's a good value for money
ejames01 ejames01
Radisson SAS Hotel Saga Oct 13, 2008
This hotel is highly recommended. The service was fantastic!! The food was out of this world!!...and of course the rooms were comfortable and quiet.
The Grill

• Steam Bath
  • Beauty Salon
  • Body Treatments
  • Facial Treatments
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes