Rab Ha's Restaurant

83 Hutcheson Street, Glasgow, United Kingdom

Rab Ha's Restaurant Glasgow Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Great place with a Scottish taste Sep 24, 2012
After spending the day touring Glasgow, I was in the mood for something with a uniquely Scottish taste. Our host in touring the city and resident Glaswegian himself, Ian (Dr_Suess), suggested Rab Ha's Restaurant. As the restaurant tells the story, here is the reported legend of Rab Ha, for which the place is named (a humorous tale of excess to be sure taken from the website):

//Born over 150 years ago, Robert Hall, or 'Rab Ha' as he is better known now, was a rotund man who made a living from eating. His appetite earned him the title 'Glesca Glutton', and was celebrated throughout the west of Scotland. Originally a farm laborer, he abandoned settled employment and chose the life of the vagrant after his mother threw him out for eating her “oot o’ hoose ’n hame”. Many would pay to watch him devour tables of food, and he also made money from winning various gluttonous competitions such as pie eating. It was in this field that he became more widely known. He beat the ‘Yorkshire Pudding’, an English glutton of great renown. So great was his appetite that no one who wagered on his gastronomic powers were likely to lose. In fact it is recorded that he was only beaten once, and by a most curious dish - “a saucerful of oysters mixed with cream and ground lump sugar”.//

Anyway, it's got a fancy and smart looking bar and has a real pub atmosphere with wooden tables for drinking or dining. True to my Scottish whimsey for a meal, I chose the Haggis, Neeps and Tatties. It was my first try for the Haggis and tasty though it be, it's a bit gritty, but when mixed with the Neeps (mashed turnips) and tatties (mashed potatoes) it is really quite excellent on the pallate. I was suitably impressed in trying this dish as an experiment in something traditionally Scottish. I recommend trying it!

Rab Ha's was just the right experience I was hoping for in something with a Scottish taste. Good draught beer on tap too - cold in a tall glass - perfect way to wind down a day of touring. The place is actually a hotel with attached bar and restaurant and hails itself as a "Hidden gem in the heart of the Merchant City". Well I may not have found it on my own, but fortunately we had Ian as a local Glaswegian to guide us here, so I may tend to agree. I may be overzealous, but I give it the full 5 stars because it was just the experience I was looking for.
Rab Ha's outside view I
Rab Ha's menu
Rab Ha's outside view II
Nice bar
TayneM says:
Heading to Glasgow on May 12th. May just have to check this place out! Thanks for the recommendation :)
Posted on: Apr 23, 2015
Dr_Seuss says:
Been in a few times at night, just for a drink, and it has a nice atmosphere then too.
Posted on: Dec 08, 2012