RH Restaurant & Bar (Andaz Hotel)

8401 West Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood, CA, USA

RH Restaurant & Bar (Andaz Hotel) West Hollywood Reviews

Eric Eric
One of the best new restaurants I've tried Sep 01, 2009
Lisa and I were looking for a nice place to get dinner, to celebrate her return from Japan, and decided to try to a new restaurant called RH in West Hollywood. We didn't know much about the place other than looking at the menu online; but I'm a firm believer that you can tell a lot about a restaurant just from the menu (i.e. how detailed the descriptions of the dishes are, the types of ingredients used, the creativity of the dishes, and, not least importantly - the prices), and everything looked interesting so we decided to give it a shot.

The restaurant is located in a hotel, but is very nice and elegantly decorated. It has a very modern design and look, but not in a cold or hostile way. Since the restaurant was relatively deserted, we got to sit a comfy booth with views of the kitchen. Yes, I said "kitchen" -- the kitchen is not walled off from the restaurant, and you can watch the chefs cook and prepare your food right there. This sounds kind of odd, but even the design of the kitchen is striking, and fits in very nicely with the rest of the restaurant.

On to the food -- I'm on an odd diet for my heartburn, so I made a few requests, which the waitress and chef were more than happy to accommodate. I wanted to get the salmon dish, but it had a cream sauce, and I wanted to avoid dairy. Also, I wanted to avoid olive oil. I told the waitress, who went to talk with the chef for a bit, and then came back and told me that he could prepare a seared salmon dish with a sweet chili sauce. I told her that was fine, and when I got my entree it was delicious! Although the portions were not huge, it was one of the better pieces of salmon I have had, pink on the inside, and incredibly flavorful. And the price for the entree was only $24, which, given the quality of the food, amazing setting, and custom order, was a relative bargain. In other restaurants in LA, you'd have to pay 50% more for a similar experience, and even then the food might not be as good.

Oddly enough, the restaurant was relatively deserted when we were there. I think we were one of the only tables there, and it was 7:00 on a Saturday night. I'm not sure when the restaurant originally opened, but I hope that more people find out about this place and support it (although, not too many ;)

Only other downside is that parking is $7 with valet. I guess this isn't so bad, considering it's on the Sunset Strip, but I hate paying for parking ;)

I like to try out a lot of restaurants, and many of them I never go back to. Lisa and I have a few favorites that we return to very often, simply because we know the food there is going to be better than most other places we would try. I'm happy to say that RH is one of the few restaurants I would gladly return to, excited to try another dish.

Check West Hollywood Hotel Deals