R&G Lounge

rnglounge.com - 415.982.7877

R&G Lounge San Francisco Reviews

jamesdean252 jamesdea…
R&G Lounge Sep 09, 2013
While in San Francisco we figured we should check out a Chinese restaurant since we were staying near China town and it is one of the largest in the states. We asked for recommendations from our hotel before we left to meet up with another travbuddy (maithanfear) that was also visiting the area. We thought that we would find something else along the way but ended up at the R & G Lounge.

The place was packed so it seemed like a good call on picking this place. We ordered a drink since it was a 40 minute wait but they paged us after about 10 minutes asking us if we would share a table with other people. We were cool with it so they took us upstairs to this back room near the kitchen with this huge table in the room. There were 4 other groups of people sitting at the table.

My girlfriend ordered deep fried oysters for an appetizer and scallops for her main dish. I ordered chicken with X.O. sauce (spicy) which wasn’t that spicy and I don’t remember what Adrian ordered for dinner. They would bring out the food as soon as it was done which left the food to get cold while we wait for the rice or the rest of our group to get there food. The food was good but nothing special, the serve was alright but they didn’t really check on us besides dropping the food and bill off.

Over all R & G Lounge was just alright. I am glad that we had some great conversations with another travbuddy while we checked this place out.
madeleine madeleine
Great Chinese Food in San Francisco May 04, 2008
I've tried some random Chinese restaurants in SF before and was never really satisfied with my experiences. Food was mediocre and service was poor. Then one day my cube neighbor recommended R&G Lounge and showed me their website. R&G's picture of their signature fried crab got me drooling!

A few weeks later, May 4, 2008, I'm sitting downstairs at R&G having a great Sunday lunch.

Service - quick and friendly. When I say friendly, I don't mean chatting and asking how you're doing. It's just a quick smile and making sure you're getting what you want, such as napkins, plates, drinks, etc - I'm happy with that :) We walked in and were greeted by a female hostess who pointed us to walk downstairs as she radioed the hostess below that 3 guests were coming.

I had no wait at all downstairs. Since our arrival was known, a table was picked out and we were quickly seated with menus and a pot of tea.

Now for the food! - Everything on the menu looked and sounded delicious. To help narrow the choices and decisions, we decided to order dishes that had the R&G Signature dish logo - salt and pepper crab, three treasures with black bean sauce and R&G special beef.

We didn't wait long at all before the first dish, three treasures with black bean sauce, was on the table. I think the wait was only 5-10 minutes, which surprised me seeing how crowded the restaurant was. A minute or two later, the beef and oh-so-scrumdiddly-umptious crab came out.

Food Rating? - I loved the crab and three treasures dish. Looking at the crustacean in picture doesn't do it justice. The legs were huge and packed with meat. In my first bite I tasted buttery crab meat with a battered salty exterior - yumMmmm!

Three treasures was also delicious. On the plate was tofu, eggplant and bell peppers stuffed with shrimp in a brown (assuming black bean) sauce, which was great to eat with white rice. Very flavorful dish!

The special beef was good at first, but I eventually got tired of it because it was too sweet for my preference. I'm not a big fan of teriyaki or sweet and sour sauces for the reason of too much sweetness. If you like sweet meat, then this dish might be perfect for you! The texture of the beef was juicy and tender, which was great. Now if only they made a version of that on the salty side ;)

We ordered a total of 3 dishes for 3 people and could barely finish it all. As I nibbled on 3-4 crab legs and dumped the shells, a waiter was always keeping an eye out and switching our crab-dump plates when needed - very good service! I must've had 3 new plates in about an hour.

The Bill - For the amount of food and the quality of food we got, I would say the price is fair. I wouldn't call it rape and I don't think it's cheap either. A plate averages $15 and the crab is priced at market rate. Our crab cost $39.50 and our total bill came close to $70. I put this restaurant as expensive because I'm sure you can eat at another Chinese restaurant for much cheaper, about $8/plate...no comparisons about quality though.

Overall experience - I love the place and can't wait to go back. It's definitely a spot I will take my friends to when they're visiting San Francisco. I'll definitely get the crab and three treasures again! *drool*
R&G Lounge off Kearny & Commercial…
R&G Menu - look in the upper left …
Three Treasures in Black Bean Sauce
Three Treasures in Black Bean Sauc…
cutepanda says:
i was there too back in december...the food was delicious and the portion was a bit way too big, it'd be better for larger groups than a party of 2-3 :) we ended up having the remaining food packed and ate them for dinner! i agree with you that it was quite expensive..especially when i compared it with what i can get back home, but then, it's an unfair comparison since i'm from hong kong and it's way too easy to get chinese food :P
Posted on: May 06, 2008