Qutab Minar and its monuments

New Delhi, India

Qutab Minar and its monuments New Delhi Reviews

Vipin Vipin
Historic Feb 24, 2013
The Qutab Minar complex is an array of buildings and structures that were built by rulers around the eleventh century onwards. The complex actually draws in more visitors than the Taj Mahal, and even if the Taj is more iconic, this complex is definitely one of the tourist highlights of India.

Perhaps the most iconic building at the complex is the Qutab Minar; it is the tallest minaret in India and is declared a World Heritage Site by UNECSO. Made of sandstone and marble, the design is wonderful to look at the intricate carvings would impress many people. As stunning as it is, I found that my appreciation for it became a little mixed. It really is imposing and is rather similar to a factory chimney, making it look like a part of an industrial, rather than a historic, environment!

Apart from the minaret, the complex has other structures that you can visit as part of your entrance fee. The mosque and other buildings are very beautiful too. I really enjoyed the intricate carving on some of the pillars, and seeing how successive rulers used this area to make their mark in India gives a really interesting history lesson.

If you are in New Delhi and are into history, this site is a must visit.
Vipin says:
thanks very much Martin! I try my best, and believe me, not all my shots are that good ;)
joehobo says:
Your Photos are neat ...better than the ones in my review of The Kutub.Hats of to you Vipin.
Vipin says:
thanks Jim, I try to keep things simple :)

Check New Delhi Hotel Deals