Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong

Quinary Hong Kong Island Reviews

inhk inhk
Damn good cocktails Dec 19, 2012
I love this bar. It's doesn't have the most innovative design, it isn't the trendiest in town and it doesn't have the best view, but I love this bar and so do a lot of people.

Not to mislead you, Quinary looks great. If you look to your right as you walk in it looks almost like an apothecary, with little medicine drawers and bits of equipment. But it's very sleek - grey concrete, dim but warm lighting, leather fixtures. it's all very nice indeed and the kind of place you'd go for very good conversation over very good cocktails. If you're looking for loud thumping music and dancing, this isn't the place for you, and thank goodness for that.

The guy who owns this is pretty famous in the mixology scene, here as well as internationally. If you care to look over the bar you'll see his crazy equipment for making molecular cocktails. He has an evaporator, something to create flavoured smoke, a centrifuge and of course they have a selection of hand-infused spirits.

So let's get to the cocktail menu. The classics are there, but all with a twist. You know how some places try to do that 'twist' and it's an utter fail? Quinary adds twists that far, far improve the classic cocktail into something modern and delicious and thoroughly addictive.

I tried (on two separate occasions) the Quinary Sour and the Earl Grey Martini. My brother had the Wasabi Bloody Mary. These are part of their signature drinks menu so I had to try them, but it also means all over the internet these are probably the only drinks that are reviewed.

The Quinary Sour is AWESOME. It's whiskey, licorice root, Chinese black sugar, bitters and then some whipped egg white. So good. The Earl Grey Martini is Cointreau, Elderflower syrup and Vodka with little bubbles of 'earl grey caviar'. It was very good (and Earl Grey-y) and apparently their most famous creation but i did prefer the Sour just because I lean that way.

I tried the Wasabi Bloody Mary which was AMAZING (I am a bloody mary fan). Too heavy for me at that moment but absolutely delicious. The bartender gave me a shot of the wasabi infused vodka to try and it was interesting how much it tasted like real, pure wasabi.

There are snacks too (yummy!) but my focus is on the cocktail bar.

Definitely go! Sometimes you'll have to book, especially on the weekend, but if you do book you have a minimum spend. My advice is skip booking but get there early for pre-dinner drinks. Or just wait in line after dinner - I think it's worth it if you're planning on staying a while.
westwind57 says:
Sounds very interesting; I know someone in Paris who is high level in mixology and he would love to try this. May I ask, where on HK island is it?
Posted on: Jan 13, 2013

Compare Causeway Bay Hotel Rates (4.1km away)

Hong Kong Island Map